Find my biological father and half brother

I am trying to find my Biological fatherand half brother. And I don't know where to start they used to live at Norfolk Park flats 94 Beeches Drive sheffield S2 in the 1960's to 1970s His name John or Johann Gross married Marjorie Chapman in December 1949 might have been in sheffield but not certain. They have a son Paul J Gross born around 1950's Paul J Gross married Joan Bradley in 1972 might have been in sheffield but not certain Also John Gross was a manager of whitbreads brewery (tennants) Sheffield 1960's to 1970's Any sort of Information or photo's of them would be much Appeciated Thankyou.

Hi Tracy,can't help with your family,but if you log onto Sheffield Indexers, or try Sheffield records Online (both free)there might be someone there who could help.

Tell them any info that you have such as rough birth and marriage dates or years,maiden names ect.

I Found my half brother after 40 yrs of searching so don't give up,and good luck.

Hi Tracey, The marriage was in Dec quarter of 1949 in Sheffield ; his name was Johann, she was Marjorie A Chapman. The marriage certificate reference is Dec qtr 1949 Sheffield, 2d 421 . I think she was born in Sheffield in 1926 ref Sep qtr 1926 Sheffield 9c 852. I cannot find a birth for Johann.

Paul J. Gross was born Dec qtr 1950 in Cirencester Registration District ref 7b 507. He married Joan Bradley Dec qtr 1972 in Sheffield ref 2d 136. I don't think they had children.

There is no record of a death for either Marjorie or Johann , neither can I find a remarriage for Marjorie. This may suggest they moved abroad at some stage.

Who was John Gross ? Any more details of him? I can't fidn a John Gross born in Sheffield.

Best of luck, John

Edited by johnpm

I dont know where john gross was born with his name been Johann gross was he Dutch German or Jewish I dont know if he was born in sheffield

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 20:02 ----------

And If there are still alive how to I find an address or phone number to contact them And what do I say never met them my mum told me about my real Dad when I was 9 year old and I only found out Few days ago that I have an half brother that was a shock

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 02:40 ----------

I do have one Question if I do find them all so what happens if they dont want to meet me where so where do I go from here any advice please Thankyou

Hi Tracy

With the complication of your father's name & maybe foreign birth, it seems to me you would be better putting your efforts into finding your half brother.

Once you do find him you will find out if your father is still alive and where he is.

Contacting your half brother could also be the best way forward as you never know if your father will want to recognise you and you may need someone close to him to break the ice so to speak.

I wish you all the best in the world in your search, I know how you must feel.

Do let us know how you get on?

Happy Days! PopT

There is no death record for Paul J Gross or Joan Gross so it's fairly certain they are still alive or not in this country. So they are your best bet for getting information.

On the electoral rolls from 2002 -2013 I can find 19 Paul Gross's but no Paul J Gross. None of the Paul Gross's seem to have a Joan living with them. There are 3 Joan Gross's living respectively in London, Llandrindod Wells, & Kingsbridge Devon but none have a Paul with them.

There are a number of Marjorie Gross's; one is possible as she lives with a Paul Gross at Newark Notts.

You can search yourself at http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/census-land-and-surveys/electoral-rolls?gclid=CMzZ4efxn7oCFfMctAodXA4AIg

John

This is such a lovely thread. I am sorry that I am not contributing with finding anyone, but I just wish to say good luck and how lovely the people helping are!

I would like to say a very big Thankyou for your help and avice if you know of how I can contact them I have a look in 192.com cant get his address postcode and phone numbers and what do I say do they know about me or not so what happnens next what do I say in my letter to them once I have more fetails been to library today to see if they had a phone book for newark what I dont if they are the right people am looking for what happens when I do get in touch with them what if they dont want to know after all these years am in my 40's I have to find out the truth for my own piece of mind and the might hurt me

This is such a lovely thread. I am sorry that I am not contributing with finding anyone, but I just wish to say good luck and how lovely the people helping are!
Yes indeed. I also looked at the thread but could not find anything further. If Paul J. Gross were in this country he would surely have shown up on electoral rolls. It was only in c..2005 that many people began to 'opt out' of the edited roll (usually to avoid junk mail) and the 2003 roll that I have on a CD apparently includes some 44 million people, but there is no Paul J. Gross or Joan Gross (with no middle initial). The name Johann Gross could hardly be more German - I just wonder if he came to England as a prisoner-of-war? My German godfather Karl Fauser was in Lodge Moor Camp and he went home in 1948, but I know that some of his fellow prisoners settled in England, especially those who came from areas of "Greater Germany" that became part of the Eastern Bloc (Sudetenland, Silesia etc).

U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 Schools, Directories & Church Histories View Image

Name: Paul J Gross

Spouse: Joan R Gross

Residence: date - city, Maryland, USA

Has anyone got a world wide Ancestry account as I think this may be him.

Do you think any of these are related?

Tom Gross Sheffield S11

Peter J Gross Sheffield S10

Laura E Gross Sheffield S10

Melanie Gross Sheffield S7

Trevor S Gross Sheffield S10

Dulcie J Gross Sheffield S6

Dulcie J Gross Sheffield S10

Patricia A Gross Sheffield S10

Roderich J Gross Sheffield S7

Catherine R Gross Sheffield S10

Geraldine R Gross Sheffield S10