Keep out of the woods

Yes, I'd also be weary of spraying fiprinol daily - it's strong stuff. Has anyone heard direct reports of this in Sheffield? Would be interested in specific areas.

I do know that some cats from the Deerlands Ave area had them, so probably there will be Harvest mites on the Brook which runs alongside.

I've seen signs up about some mystery illness at Sherwood Pines.

On balance I'll continue to walk in the woods, when you consider the numbers of dogs walked in woods on a daily basis and the numbers of reported illnesses, I'd say the risk is low enough... plus I've not heard anything specifically about the woods we use.

Will of course be vigilant for signs of illness (not that we aren't anyway!)

I remember something from a couple of years ago about rats in Greno woods, which were weeing/spraying in puddles or mud and that was making dogs ill? Not sure if this could be connected x

I remember something from a couple of years ago about rats in Greno woods, which were weeing/spraying in puddles or mud and that was making dogs ill? Not sure if this could be connected x

Rats can carry leptospirosis which is transmitted through their urine, it's a nasty disease which humans can also get.

It's a good idea to not let your dog drink from any stagnant water when you're out an about (it could also have toxic algae in).

It will be the seasonal Canine thing. I think it is from the spores from the ferns i believe xx

both my dogs were really poorly with parvo like symptoms after a walk in greno woods last saturday, they are both ok but the pup was really poorly, they both played in puddles and drank water, not saying its that but i walk every night in concord and go up to stanage at weekends, never had a problem before, seems rather strange, just be aware of hidden dangers

There has been a couple of dogs die after been walked in graves park.

Keep your dogs out of water and don't let em drink out of puddles

About 6 dogs have died that have been in lowedges park..don't know if it's true but it's poisoned meat ....I would prob think more along the lines of seasonal canine illness....but one dog died within the same day...very worrying....the only time I love the fact my dog is a fussy eater

not being funny but I wont be changing my routine, I've been doing it for the past 20yrs. IMO its just scare mongering tactics.

In Sheffield star tonight and fb and twitter, Police have said it is totally untrue.

We have recently had a letter from our vets about a new vaccination for a new strain of Letospirosis which has been recognised in this country. Dogs have to have two vaccinations 4 weeks apart to prevent them from getting this.

When I was discussing this with the vet when I took my dog for the new vaccination I was told this illnesses causes liver and kidney failure etc and therefore the symptoms can lead people to believe their dog has been poisoned, so I guessed this is what had actually been the cause of many recent articles in the media of people worrying about dogs being poisoned in a number of different areas of the country.

As a previous post said this illness can be transmitted dog to human and vice versa, and it is really important to get your dog immunised as soon as possible.