Half submerged Derwent church steeple.

I forget to mention the little stone bridge which can be seen disappearing into the water opposite the Ladybower Inn. I also see that the Z bend over 'Cut Throat Bridge' has been straightened out. Lots of crashed aircraft wrecks on the moors behind, some society in Glossop has map locations of each crash site. ( I keep forgetting it'll all be on the web !)

Can anybody tell me where the present A57 (Snake Pass) originally entered what is now Ladybower reservoir? I think I can see it on Google Maps at the western point, but whereabouts did the road enter the reservoir on the east side? Are there any noticeable signs?

I remember as a child seeing this church tower sticking out of the water, I also know some one who also saw it at around about the same time as I did. HOWEVER...........this was in the early sixties, over ten years after the spire was demolished. What I saw was then demolished itself by divers, I was told. Does anyone know how this could be? Perhaps part of the tower was left in tact below the normal water level in 1947 when the spire went? Does anyone know?

Can anybody tell me where the present A57 (Snake Pass) originally entered what is now Ladybower reservoir?... whereabouts did the road enter the reservoir on the east side...
The road passed in front of Ginnett House, which survives just above the waterline, and then went downhill below the present waterline - here is a link to an old map: click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view.

I remember as a child seeing this church tower sticking out of the water, I also know some one who also saw it at around about the same time as I did. HOWEVER...........this was in the early sixties, over ten years after the spire was demolished. What I saw was then demolished itself by divers, I was told. Does anyone know how this could be? Perhaps part of the tower was left in tact below the normal water level in 1947 when the spire went? Does anyone know?

Derwent Church closed in c1942 then the graveyard was emptyed of human remains. The church was demolished but left the tower and spire up has a memorial to Derwent village however the Water Board realised it would need a lot of maintenance to keep it safe. In 1947 the waters fell enough for the tower to be blown up so down it went. The only thing left of church is its foundations and an date stone plus two standing gate posts. Their was an book called ' Silent Valley' that detailed the death of Derwent and Ashpton villages.

Edited by crookedspire

The spire was demolished in 1947 by the water board for safety reasons.

When the dry summer came and the spire was exposed lots of sporty youngsters would dive in and see who could reach the spire first, also they would be climbing onto it too.

The spire was demolished in 1947 by the water board for safety reasons.

When the dry summer came and the spire was exposed lots of sporty youngsters would dive in and see who could reach the spire first, also they would be climbing onto it too.

hiya one of my dads stories of the day i was born he was working on the ashopton dam when he got word my mum had been taken to the city general {now the northern}.until a few years back during a dry period the village steeple came into view.

The road passed in front of Ginnett House, which survives just above the waterline, and then went downhill below the present waterline - here is a link to an old map: click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view.

Thank you for posting that link to a fascinating map site.

If the spire was demolished in 1947, what was it we (me, mum and a friend) saw poking above the water in the late 50s - early 60s? Anyone know? Anything in Howden or Derwent resers?

During the drought of 1959, parts of Derwent village became visible again, including an old bridge - here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.

Hillsbro, I note from a previous post that you're a philatelist. I don't know how long you've been collecting, but you might remember this: when I lived in Sheffield, my Dad became a stamp collector (oddly, he picked up the enthusiasm from me rather than vice versa). I remember that when the family used to go shopping in town on a Saturday morning, he would often leave Mum to her own devices for an hour and go with me to a stamp shop which was somewhere opposite the City Hall, maybe down a side street. I have a vague recollection of a bespectacled, quietly friendly man behind the counter but can't remember the shop's name (which I think was the owner's name also). Can you?

I got rid of most of my stamps years ago as I moved on to other interests, but I do still have the Penny Black which Dad bought me as a birthday present when I was about nine.

Hi athy - Ah, memories! This was 'The Stamp Shop' which was at 20-22 Division Street until 1950, then at 42 Division Street until c. 1961 when the property was demolished and the business moved to 9 Westfield Terrace (at the West Street end - it's now Tamper Coffee). Until the early 1950s the business was owned by Mr John Chamberlain, who sold it to Eric Edwards (medium height, bespectacled - a lttle eccentric like most philatelists :)). His wife used to help out on Saturdays. The shop closed in 1972 when Mr Edwards retired; by this time the 'Sheffield Stamp Centre' had opened in Figtree Lane. There was also Frank Woore (stamps and secondhand books) in the Norfolk Market Hall, later Castle Market.

Edited by hillsbro