Can anyone name a really good indian food store in Sheffield??

I imagine there will be plenty of these, but can anybody recommend a really good one,, with hard to find ingrediants that are reasonable price and GOOD quality???

I imagine there will be plenty of these, but can anybody recommend a really good one,, with hard to find ingrediants that are reasonable price and GOOD quality???

I often go to Staniland Road in Darnall,S9 which is on the 52 bus route;there are numerous grocers which stock Rajah,East End and other prominent brands.There are several halal butchers too.

Try paks supermarket however it's in Rotherham well worth the short drive the place is massive they even stock fresh curry leaves.Pak Supermarket

174 Wellgate, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, S60 2PE

Tel: 01709 839980

Edited by allwednesday

Try paks supermarket however it's in Rotherham well worth the short drive the place is massive they even stock fresh curry leaves.Pak Supermarket

174 Wellgate, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, S60 2PE

Tel: 01709 839980

I'll second this suggestion.

I tend to use Bangla Bazaar on Staniforth Road, Darnall for their spices etc - good selection and reasonably priced.

There's a stall in the new markets that's really good (they were in the old market too). It sells every spice you can think of, even stuff like ajwain seeds and asafoetida, plus pickles, Indian breads, fresh coriander/mint/fenugreek, dal, etc. They also do some Caribbean food.

They're Indian too, from Rajasthan.

Pops supermarket on Sheldon Road S7, just at the crossroads with Nether Edge Road. Looks fairly ordinary but stocks all manner of lovely things, including fresh curry leaves :)

There are no indian food shops round here what you are seeing are pakistani food stores just like there are very few indian restaurants in England what you are eatin gis pakistani/bangaldeshi food which is totally different to Indian food, Most indian food is vegetarian. Urban Choola is the closest to Indian food you will find.

There isn't that much difference between India, Pakistan or Bangladesh as far as the spices are concerned. It's all a matter of emphasis. Anyway, the sub-continent has a variety of regional cuisines.

Urban Choola is theoretically South Indian but they can't do you a dosa. Best to try East West, Arusuvai or Maveli for that. The owner of Urban Choola is, I recall, from Kashmir.

What do you class as good ingredients? I'm just being nosy here. :hihi:

I know that there are a lot of indian shops everywhere, but I also cannot tell which ones are the better ones with good choices.

I'm after somewhere that can sell me cloves not at extortionate prices too. I once paid like 3 pounds for less than 100g. This is daylight robbery !

I sometimes have to pinch myself not to get desperate and grab a bottle of spice from my local supermarket where I get like 2-3 pounds for <20g. :help: