Is fibre optic another gimick

Thats a very good point, I joined talk talk last month, they sent a modem router through the post, I connected it up etc and thought that was it, I went away for a week, then got a text to say an engineer coming out on the 15th to set it up... So the question is, has the engineer been to you property yet!

Yes engineer came on tuesday

I only got router in post .he brought the modem and set it up

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 21:55 ----------

Can I ask, Are you sure you're connected to the box that's 500m? You might be connected to a different one. A friend of mine has a cabinet at the end of his street but the one his line is connected to is a few streets away. Also even if you are connected to that cabinet there's a large chance that the cable length is greater that the straight line distance. I'm 400m from my exchange however the cable length is estimated to be closer to 700m because of the way it's routed underground.
I

Yes deffo cabinet on shops as he said he set it up from theirn only 500 meters away

Yes engineer came on tuesday

I only got router in post .he brought the modem and set it up

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 21:55 ----------

I

Yes deffo cabinet on shops as he said he set it up from theirn only 500 meters away

So 500m is the straight line distance. As I said the cable length could be much more.

Just tested my connection wired, and am getting 38.71mb which is close enough to 40mb for me!

Sky had led me to believe before, that my REALLY poor speeds (0.7mb) compared to their package (up to 20mb) would be down to my distance from the exchange, but that should have left me at around 3mb, the difference would have then been down to my own copper cables outside the house and my phone sockets and their age, and that they would have to be replaced etc etc they were supposed to send an engineer out several times and they never came.

There can't be very much wrong with them from what I can see now, or the speeds would surely be lower still?

Contact your ISP, even if the cable length is more than 500m then I would still say your speeds are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than advertised, and you might have a fault on the line or need some new cables.

The phone cables outside your house belong to BT, but it's unlikely they'll ever fix them unless you can't make phone calls & nobody else is allowed to touch them. I'm not sure they're all copper either, some may be worse. VDSL (BT Infinity, Sky Fibre, etc) uses less of your phone line than standard ADSL, it's just the part that goes to the street cabinet rather than all the way to the exchange, so line quality makes less difference, but it can still make a difference if you're not very close to the street cabinet.

Edited by anywebsite

Fiber Optic is generally only "to cabinet" its still copper cable coming to your house, which could just be degraded from it being installed quite some time ago. If the connection has just been installed, slow speed could because of line attenuation settling check it again after about 10 days....download tests are not a true test of your line bandwidth, they are just a point to point test, if the server at the other end it underload it may not respond aswell as it could normally.

The issue with wifi being slower than a wired connection is normally a connection priority protocol build into the router that gives wired connection a higher percentage of bandwidth than wireless. It may also be a combination of the device only having a/b/g connectivity and the router being set to b/n only etc.

Hope some of that info helps with more understanding on incoming lines...make sure you have filters on all you phone sockets too....any line noise generated, even from an unused extension can degrade connection speeds

Does anyone know why let's say at first the speed looks really good and matches what's been promised but then over the next week drops?

The way I see it if it's reached the speed then there should be no reason why it can't maintain the speed what was advertised ignoring the cover word up to!

I believe there is some kind of learning period, during which time they try and work out what speed gives least errors and line drops.

I believe there is some kind of learning period, during which time they try and work out what speed gives least errors and line drops.

Yeah, Sky told me they initially start you on a low speed and gradually increase it, until it starts dropping out, then they go backwards until they reach a 'stable' speed. Mines been high from day one and stayed high though.

Still varies between 8mb and 15 mb so still not even half of the up to 38 mb and be installed a week today

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin123

Yeah, Sky told me they initially start you on a low speed and gradually increase it, until it starts dropping out, then they go backwards until they reach a 'stable' speed. Mines been high from day one and stayed high though.

that takes 2 days max, the worst thing could be that BT have replaced the copper wire with aluminium cable, that kills fibre speed, I had the same oroblem and got BT to re route it and it went from 10 meg to 21 meg

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Its use as an advertising term is definitely a gimmick because (as previously mentioned) its only fibre optic to the street cabinet.

This is going to be REALLY fun when they start to offer TRUE fibre optic to your house, which is NOT a gimmick and guarantees you get the speed they offer. Then again, the cost to have THAT installed is huge.

Bottom line, all broadband is fibre optic, even mobile. Optical fibres run the whole backbone of the Internet as its the quickest way of moving the large amounts of data around over long distances.

However, that does not mean that their "fibre optic" offerings are NOT better than their older packages. In most cases it IS better (even in your case its better even if performing worse than expected) so you can see why they wanted to use the term to suggest its something better than before.