Is fibre optic another gimick

it was in my 1st question posted yesterday and installed yesterday

got talk talk fibre installed today with the 38meg deal installed by openreach

cable box only 500m down road

just done speedtest and only getting 15meg and under on a few speedtests

yes understand it needs to calibrate etc only 10mb today so getting slower

its used hardwired and wifi

guessing its old copper wire from pole to my house

as i stated fibre box only 500meters away and to only get 10mb to 15mb out of 38mb is rubbish not even half

Wired or wireless.

both used hardwired to pc ,xbox

wifi for laptop,ipad etc

wifi for laptop,ipad etc

When you did the speedtest you did it on the PC wired to the router then?

I haven't tested my connection wired, but I'm getting around 30mb on my laptop wirelessly and only 9mb when I test on my phone, so the speed must be device related also.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

wifi for laptop,ipad etc

Which was your speed test done done on, I'm on talk talk

PC wired 38.5mb

ipad wireless 18.65 mb

If you have a few devices connected to WiFi at the time of testing as well, I believe this can cause the speed test result to be lower, although I'm not 100% sure on that if you are testing using a wired connection.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

There's a table here that lists estimates of speeds at various distances from the local cabinet. For 500m it says 38Mbps would typical but there are a number of things that might affect that. The quality/condition of cable from the cabinet to your house has already been mentioned but I'm wondering about you having a 38Mb connection rather than a 76Mb one. Depending on how 38Mb differs from 76Mb, might you be getting 38Mb degraded by 500m rather than 76Mb degraded by 500m? I don't know if that is nonsense or not, if someone knows how the two differ please chip in, but it might explain the speeds you're getting.

Tested WiFi with only x1 device running

76 mb was extra 5 pound a month and thought 38 mb would be ample compared to the 2 mb I was getting previously to fibre

Sky used to say fault recorded online but never cured it after numberous vista by engineers so I thought I had enough n went fibre so the fault could Still be there if it goes copper to fibre or visevisa lol

Can I ask, Are you sure you're connected to the box that's 500m? You might be connected to a different one. A friend of mine has a cabinet at the end of his street but the one his line is connected to is a few streets away.

Also even if you are connected to that cabinet there's a large chance that the cable length is greater that the straight line distance.

I'm 400m from my exchange however the cable length is estimated to be closer to 700m because of the way it's routed underground.

Tested WiFi with only x1 device running

76 mb was extra 5 pound a month and thought 38 mb would be ample compared to the 2 mb I was getting previously to fibre

Sky used to say fault recorded online but never cured it after numberous vista by engineers so I thought I had enough n went fibre so the fault could Still be there if it goes copper to fibre or visevisa lol

Does sound like a line fault to me had a friend with a similar experience plus i live the same kind of difference from my cabinet and get 80mb on infinity. Get it reported to Talk Talk!

Your wifi connection is also affected by any neighbours on the same or adjacent channels. They interfere with one another and will cause errors which means you will get retransmissions, which means overall throughput will drop. I've got 8 networks other than mine showing up on my tablet. Trying to get a clear channel is impossible. The only true speed test is wired, which you've done, so looks like the line. You're still getting a very usable speed. Enjoy.

Your wifi connection is also affected by any neighbours on the same or adjacent channels. They interfere with one another and will cause errors which means you will get retransmissions, which means overall throughput will drop. I've got 8 networks other than mine showing up on my tablet. Trying to get a clear channel is impossible. The only true speed test is wired, which you've done, so looks like the line. You're still getting a very usable speed. Enjoy.

yes changed channel from auto to no6

yes hard wired starts at 15mb and steadily drops to 10mb on the speedtest

so guessing it failing somewhere

Can I ask, Are you sure you're connected to the box that's 500m? You might be connected to a different one. A friend of mine has a cabinet at the end of his street but the one his line is connected to is a few streets away.

Also even if you are connected to that cabinet there's a large chance that the cable length is greater that the straight line distance.

I'm 400m from my exchange however the cable length is estimated to be closer to 700m because of the way it's routed underground.

Thats a very good point, I joined talk talk last month, they sent a modem router through the post, I connected it up etc and thought that was it, I went away for a week, then got a text to say an engineer coming out on the 15th to set it up...

So the question is, has the engineer been to you property yet!