Is fibre optic another gimick

is fibre optic another internet gimick

got talk talk fibre installed today with the 38meg deal installed by openreach

cable box only 500m down road

just done speedtest and only getting 15meg and under on a few speedtests:confused::confused:

Edited by barts96

A gimmick? Yeah, definitely...not used for much at all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre_optic

When did you get it installed, it'll need time to settle I assume, same as ADSL. If not then speak to your ISP, it's their connection.

got talk talk fibre installed today with the 30meg deal installed by openreach

just done speedtest and only getting 15meg and under on a few speedtests:confused::confused:

I get 80 meg ,just as advertised,down if connected by wire but only 18-21 by wireless,the wireless dongle is rated at 100meg the hub is two internal walls away,about twelve feet max.

got talk talk fibre installed today with the 30meg deal installed by openreach

What speed did you get with ADSL ? The fibre optic is only to the street cab, so if the wire from there to your house is poor that speed may be right.

You running a speedtest from a wireless connection ? If so, try it from a wired connection to router. It'll be faster.

No gimmick. I went from a dodgy 3Mbit ADSL to 40Mbit fibre with same phone line, but my Aunt who lives closer to street cab than me gets 15Mbit estimated from Infinity.

What speed did you get with ADSL ? The fibre optic is only to the street cab, so if the wire from there to your house is poor that speed may be right.

You running a speedtest from a wireless connection ? If so, try it from a wired connection to router. It'll be faster.

No gimmick. I went from a dodgy 3Mbit ADSL to 40Mbit fibre with same phone line, but my Aunt who lives closer to street cab than me gets 15Mbit estimated from Infinity.

Infinity download test explains that very point you make.

a poor 2mb hence why i gone to fibre

get 15mb advertise up to 38mb so im not even getting half ???

Edited by barts96

Had about 0.7 meg max download speed with Sky broadband, just upgraded to Sky fibre ('up to 40mb') and had it installed on Monday. I was getting 31 meg when i checked last night, so I'm a happy bunny!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

That's what they do. The signal drops off the further from the box you are & depending on the quality of your phone line. So some people will get 38mbit or even 75, but you probably wont. The fibre only goes to the box & then it's your same old phone line, the further the data goes down that the slower it gets.

Your 2mbit broadband previously was probably advertised as 'up to 20mbit', even though you cant see that speed unless you're right next to the exchange. So it's an improvement, at least you're getting nearly half the advertised speed rather than 10%.

Maybe you can complain & get them to change some settings to make it better, maybe an engineer visit could help, maybe it wont help at all & you'll be stuck with it. The main factors are the quality of your phone line & the distance to the street cabinet, you're not going to be able to change either of those.

It works different on virgin media cable, you do usually get what they advertise. It's still fibre to the street cabinet, that cabinet might be further away & be shared by more people too, but they use better quality coax cable-tv cable for your connection to that cabinet rather than a phone line, so there shouldn't be any loss in speed.

Edited by anywebsite

You didn't bother to answer any questions I asked.

Is this a new installation? Did you give it a week before running a test? If so have you rung your ISP to ask what the problems could be?

As someone else mentioned, the absolute key question is, are you connecting to the router via wireless? If so, you are probably getting as good as it will get regardless of how high the line connection. Fibre links can run at far higher speeds than wireless N can hope to achieve. Test it out with a cable to the router and then get back to us.

I had fibre fitted yesterday too, wired I get 38.5 wireless is 18.69

You didn't bother to answer any questions I asked.

Is this a new installation? Did you give it a week before running a test? If so have you rung your ISP to ask what the problems could be?

it was in my 1st question posted yesterday and installed yesterday

got talk talk fibre installed today with the 38meg deal installed by openreach

just done speedtest and only getting 15meg and under on a few speedtests

yes understand it needs to calibrate etc only 10mb today so getting slower

its used hardwired and wifi

guessing its old copper wire from pole to my house

as i stated fibre box only 500meters away and to only get 10mb to 15mb out of 38mb is rubbish not even half

Edited by barts96