Family law: What is the way forward now?

Since the demise of Legal Aid in April 2013, is the only way for people to gain legal access to their kids by paying solicitor's fees? Or courts?

What is the procedure for going about using the courts for access? If it can be done, how is it enforced? My cousin, with no criminal record but with a low salary, is wanting to get legal access to his child.

Thanks

your cousin needs to speak to a solicitor or advice centre.

Thanks, Andy. He was getting in touch with the CAB, but was unsure of the changes following April.

Thanks, Andy. He was getting in touch with the CAB, but was unsure of the changes following April.

The CAB will only give him a list of solicitors who do Family Law. He may be lucky and get a free assessment with one of them. Someone told me there's a drop-in at a solicitor's on Pinstone Street just by the Co-op. I haven't seen it myself but if he's in town.

He can gain information from a solicitor, usually they offer half an hour free consultation. He would then have to apply to a court this is in the region of around £200 and can represent himself in court without the financial cost of a solicitor. In my opinion courts are well aware that some people cannot afford the cost of a solicitor with the new legislation and are looked upon exactly the same as if the other party was represented by a solicitor. As mentioned previously CAB is your best first point of call!

The CAB will only give him a list of solicitors who do Family Law. He may be lucky and get a free assessment with one of them. Someone told me there's a drop-in at a solicitor's on Pinstone Street just by the Co-op. I haven't seen it myself but if he's in town.

Excellent, LeMaquis, thanks. I'll text him.

If that's his only conduit to get to court?

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 19:33 ----------

He can gain information from a solicitor, usually they offer half an hour free consultation. He would then have to apply to a court this is in the region of around £200 and can represent himself in court without the financial cost of a solicitor. In my opinion courts are well aware that some people cannot afford the cost of a solicitor with the new legislation and are looked upon exactly the same as if the other party was represented by a solicitor. As mentioned previously CAB is your best first point of call!

That doesn't sound good?

If that's his only conduit to get to court?

It may well be but he should try a few solicitors first. As said above he may have to represent himself in court if he can't afford legal representation.

Representing himself in court is not a bad thing providing he goews prepaired! A family law court is completely different from attending any other court proceeding as their is only himself. the other party and a solicitor that may be defending each of the parties present. He can take someone else in with him to offer support and take notes although they will not be allowed to speak to the other party this is reffered to as a mckenzie friend. Sometimes it does not need to go to court as couples may be able to agree on their childs best interests through mediation, which is usually offered before any court proceedings are issued. This is just my advice from personal experiences CAB is who he needs to speak to for more details. I do hope the situation can be resolved

...CAB is who he needs to speak to for more details.

The CAB will do nothing other than provide a list of solicitors. He might as well walk round High Street, Paradise Square and Campo Lane and just ask solicitors if they do Family Law and whether they offer a free assessment.

The CAB will do nothing other than provide a list of solicitors. He might as well walk round High Street, Paradise Square and Campo Lane and just ask solicitors if they do Family Law and whether they offer a free assessment.

Even if some do, after their free half hour, it would get very expensive, and especially through a court procedure (during which they would be looking disdainfully?) to win access?