Iphone, mobile data and 3G

Just used most of my contracted data without my knowing in the house, even though connected to Wi-Fi, somehow my phone as still been using my mobile data, instead of Wi-Fi data. I now know too turn-off mobile data when in house to use only Wi-Fi.

My question is about 3G. I know if I switch 3G off when connect to Wi-Fi my battery will last much longer, but does this effect my speed at all?

Also when I use my phone outside, I know to switch mobile data back on to enable my mobile connection, but do I also need to switch 3G back on when outdoors or wouldn't this make much difference?

Your wifi will be faster. You only need 3G on outside if you are connecting to the internet otherwise it doesn`t matter unless you are using whatsapp or a similiar app.

You can also download apps that limit your 3G and turn it off if it reaches your data limit if you want. It doesn`t affect your battery that much.

Your 3G IS your mobile data connection.

Your wifi will be faster.

Well that depends how fast your broadband at home is, and how fast your 3G is!

I get faster speeds over 3G than on my broadband, so I just keep 3G on. I'm on one of threes unlimited data plans so no need to switch back.

I get faster speeds over 3G than on my broadband, so I just keep 3G on. I'm on one of threes unlimited data plans so no need to switch back.[/quote

Thanks to both of you for replies. How you finding Three? I took another provider even though Three has best deal? Have I goofed-up?

I know with Three wouldn't have to give any concern to data use, as unlimited, but told not too go there?

So have I goofed?

Just used most of my contracted data without my knowing in the house, even though connected to Wi-Fi, somehow my phone as still been using my mobile data, instead of Wi-Fi data. I now know too turn-off mobile data when in house to use only Wi-Fi.

My question is about 3G. I know if I switch 3G off when connect to Wi-Fi my battery will last much longer, but does this effect my speed at all?

Also when I use my phone outside, I know to switch mobile data back on to enable my mobile connection, but do I also need to switch 3G back on when outdoors or wouldn't this make much difference?

Your phone shouldn't use 3G when connected to wifi. But when the iPhone is in standby for long periods the wifi disconnects and reconnects when you wake the phone so may use 3G if needed. How much data is in your allowance?

Only thing I can think if its using a lot is that an app you use continues to run in the background when you close it. I read somewhere that if something starts downloading using the 3G connection that it will continue to use 3G till its finished even if you connect to wifi half way through, don't know how much truth is in that (something to do with it being complicated to swap an active download to a different aerial mid download without corrupting data). Best tip would be to make sure you close background apps using the app switcher (double tap home button) regularly.

Your 3G IS your mobile data connection.

Not necessarily true. There are other types of mobile data as well as 3G (Edge, GPRS and more recently LTE).

Edited by steroc

I get faster speeds over 3G than on my broadband, so I just keep 3G on. I'm on one of threes unlimited data plans so no need to switch back.[/quote

Thanks to both of you for replies. How you finding Three? I took another provider even though Three has best deal? Have I goofed-up?

I know with Three wouldn't have to give any concern to data use, as unlimited, but told not too go there?

So have I goofed?

Three have been great - I get over 11meg download speed at work, and about 7 or 8 at home. I use about 4 gb a month on my phone so it great to be totally unlimited. Also let's me tether my ipad for no extra cos.