Bamboo towels..

Just seen a towel that is made from Bamboo?Are there such towels,or is it a gimmick, because it is the first one I have ever seen.It came from Turkey.

Nope, not a gimmick. Hiking base layers have been made from bamboo for quite a few years now.

Cheers,I think I will have one.

They'll be a pig to dry though. Ask the cloth nappy mums ;)

They'll be a pig to dry though. Ask the cloth nappy mums ;)

If they are used for hiking base layers as megalithic says, they are likely to be high wicking and will dry quickly.

From Go Outdoors base layer guide -

"Bamboo extracts, or carbon bamboo can be inclued in baselayers. A recent addition to technical fabrics, the use of bamboo is widespread because it is a sustainable resource. In terms of capabilities, bamboo is manufacture to be very smooth and soft.

Bamboo drapes easily and sits close to the skin, making it an ideal fabric within a treavl shirt for moderate temperatures. The draping oes sit fairly close, and some outoor enthusiasts have observed this fabric blend is too close for extreme temperatures.

However, in compasrison with cotton, or a similar natural fibre, excluding merino wool, bamboo is a performance fabric, able to dry off quickly and to wick away odors and bacteria".

I've got several pairs of bamboo socks (in fact, I'm wearing a pair now). They're very soft and dry faster than my cotton ones but do attract unwanted attention from pandas.

I have bamboo socks too and they keep my feet warm in winter. But I think it is a gimmick to some extent when you see that actually they just extract viscose from the bamboo and mix a certain percentage in with other fabrics like cotton or wool.

Cloth bum mummy here - we use bamboo nappies and nappy inserts. The inserts are thin so they dry quick but the nappies are a pain to dry, especially now the weather has turned.

You'll find some bamboo towels on this website:

http://www.littlelambnappies.com/luxurious-bamboo-toweling

Currently half price.

I have now joined the copy and paste brigade. If you think bamboo towels are slightly weird, have a look at this bamboo based product that sounds a little odd.....http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/andrex-rolls-out-bamboo-toilet-tissue/4000724.article