Cheese Houses Parson Cross and Foxhill

This may have been asked before but, Why are the cheese houses on Foxhill and Parson Cross so called? Does anyone know who the architect for the vast council estates was and why they decided to build these quirqy shaped houses Are they only on these estates or are there others in Sheffield? Cant find a picture of one to put a link .

I have never heard anyone call a house in the area a cheese house. Are you sure you don't have a friend who has made up a name and convinced a few people that it is a common word ?

Ha ha!! well my nan lived on deerlands ave and we always called them cheese houses. If you type in google map Deerlands Ave and zoom in near the entrance of the Park you can see two of said Cheese Houses (sorry but i dont know how to do a link)

Ha ha!! well my nan lived on deerlands ave and we always called them cheese houses. If you type in google map Deerlands Ave and zoom in near the entrance of the Park you can see two of said Cheese Houses (sorry but i dont know how to do a link)

Link http://goo.gl/maps/5HnXV

Yes the ones with the funny pointy roofs - I lived in one on Browning Drive

These types of houses only appeared at the ends of a road if I remember correctly.

Yes they did -we lived on the corner of Browning Drive and the Road

There you are Muddycoffee I knew i hadnt made it up!!! No one yet answered though why they were called that. Is it because they look like a slice of Edam?? Would like to know who the architect was if anyone knows. Hillsboro are you out there with the answer???

Imagine they are named that because they sort of resemble a piece of cheese cut in the traditional way, off a round.

Nice design. Could be, because with a bit of imagination they look like a bit of Kraft cheese.

I've always referred to them as Cheese Houses too, but never got why they were called that. :)

Because they were pointed at the top like a block of cheese,remember the ones on Adlington.