New build house - brick choice?

Hi all,

We are in the process of buying a new build property on the Waverley development with harron homes.

Today we went and paid our deposit and were told the brick colour was going to be a sand colour, we were told originally this was going to be a red colour which we prefer.

On the site there are a mixture of red, sand and stone coloured houses.

We asked the question about having it changed to the red colour we have always thought it would be and were told it couldn't be changed due to planning?

Have we just been fobbed off or is this really the case?

Surely the same sized brick in a different colour would not affect the planning?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

It might be more acceptable to planners to have of a range of colours;this would give a more organic feel to the development.You could always paint each brick after the building's erection.

Yes we thought that but to be honest it's a small cul de sac and there is only 2 houses on it!

Just wondered if anyone with building experience could comment re. The re-planning for a different brick?

Just seems odd to us!

On first reading your op I thought it sounded like the work of a conservation officer but I've just looked at the location and it doesn't look like a conservation area to me, so now I think that planning permission has been obtained using the sand coloured bricks and they don't want to risk rocking the boat with the council by applying for an alternative colour seeing as it is easier and cheaper to fob you off; either that or they've already bought the bricks.

The road our house is on will be 1 of 2, there are however 150 already built and they are a complete mixture of sand, red etc. even if they have bought the bricks, there's another 200 or so going up so I'm sure they could be used elsewhere!

Just wanted to know if the sales rep was telling us a load of rubbish when she said the house would have to go right back to planning?!

The road our house is on will be 1 of 2, there are however 150 already built and they are a complete mixture of sand, red etc. even if they have bought the bricks, there's another 200 or so going up so I'm sure they could be used elsewhere!

Just wanted to know if the sales rep was telling us a load of rubbish when she said the house would have to go right back to planning?!

Why not contact the planner and get the official version.The sales rep will fob you off if you seem compliant.

On my build i selected the brick but it had to be approved by town hall planner at a cost of then £80.00.

It was however a quick and simple process of taking the selected brick to the planning dept and the planning dept official giving a verbal yes or no so only delayed the project for the duration of the bus ride to town.

Hi all,

We are in the process of buying a new build property on the Waverley development with harron homes.

Today we went and paid our deposit and were told the brick colour was going to be a sand colour, we were told originally this was going to be a red colour which we prefer.

On the site there are a mixture of red, sand and stone coloured houses.

We asked the question about having it changed to the red colour we have always thought it would be and were told it couldn't be changed due to planning?

Have we just been fobbed off or is this really the case?

Surely the same sized brick in a different colour would not affect the planning?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

The brick colour would often form part of the planning application as it's a key part of the external appearance.

See the Sales manager and tell him that you were told red bricks were to be used and you signed contract on this understanding . Also have a word to person who told you this and said red bricks would be used . What colour brick did it say in the contract you signed. I would not to happy it with as well . Do not be fobbed off by a jumped up sales clerk . This a breach of contract . Very unlikley they will change the brick color as it will have gone through planning but some kind of redress is necessary if it has upset you. Write to head office if necessary

Edited by spider1

I can't see why there's a breach of contract I assume you have paid a reservation fee? As yet no contracts have been set in place,

I can't see why there's a breach of contract I assume you have paid a reservation fee? As yet no contracts have been set in place,

If he has paid a deposit he has signed a contract to buy and will loose this deposit if he backs out plus any fees involved. If builder has told lies he is in breach of contract // How do you know some over ambitious sales man has not told him a pack of lies just to get him to sign on the dotted line. Its called sharp practice. // if a dealer sold you a brand new car and it came from the factory in a different colour to the one you ordered would it not bother you.

It's a reservation fee, what happens if they can't get the funds to buy it? Will the builder pursue them in court?

No legal contract has been entered into and both parties can walk away at any point, I bought a house off plan that wasn't due to be built for 3 years and paid £200 reservation fee it didn't give me the right to dictate what bricks or other construction materials were used