How much should a single person spend on a food a week?

90£ minimum if you eat and drink healthily.

So nearly 4 times the national average, if you want to eat and drink healthily... How might that break down, what requires you to spend about £12.50 a day?

So nearly 4 times the national average, if you want to eat and drink healthily... How might that break down, what requires you to spend about £12.50 a day?

Hmmh... on 2nd thoughts perhaps 90 was a little excessive. It was a rushed comment.

For me my usual diet usually works out something like...

Breakdown:

1 breakfast cereal

2 snack, maybe a protein bar 1£

3 small meal 2£

4 snack

5 small meal 2£

That has me at around 5£ a day so far

Then you have to factor in things like milk and coffee and bottled water. I drink a lot.

Maybe 8£ a day would be more accurate... which would average at what?

£56 a week

Buying a sandwich can actually make a large difference, I spend between £2.50 and £3.50 on a sandwich, add to that an apple, a bag of crisps and a snickers, and even though they're multi-pack items it's still possible to be up at £5 for lunch alone.

Buying a sandwich can actually make a large difference, I spend between £2.50 and £3.50 on a sandwich, add to that an apple, a bag of crisps and a snickers, and even though they're multi-pack items it's still possible to be up at £5 for lunch alone.

Yes, I don't eat pre packaged sandwiches, I don't eat fruit because I don't enjoy it... I do however go buy a fruit smoothie from Meadowhall 2 or 3 times a week just to make sure I am getting the nutrients I need which comes to around 4£ a drink and I don't eat crisps, I do however enjoy protein bars which are an healthier alternative to candy bars but cost 1£ per bar from Asda. Also I enjoy Muller yoghurt's. I eat lots of low cal microwave meals which are around £1.50 to £2.00 a piece, probably 1 a day. The cheapest meal I make on a regular basis is probably beans on toast with scrambles egg, a ham sandwich or oats so simple porridge... I eat Tuna sandwiches a lot too but Tuna is far from cheap.

People who say it isn't more expensive to eat healthier are deluded.

Im shocked some of you only have £10 a week to spend on food. Where else are you spending your money?

Yes, I don't eat pre packaged sandwiches, I don't eat fruit because I don't enjoy it... I do however go buy a fruit smoothie from Meadowhall 2 or 3 times a week just to make sure I am getting the nutrients I need which comes to around 4£ a drink and I don't eat crisps, I do however enjoy protein bars which are an healthier alternative to candy bars but cost 1£ per bar from Asda. Also I enjoy Muller yoghurt's. I eat lots of low cal microwave meals which are around £1.50 to £2.00 a piece, probably 1 a day. The cheapest meal I make on a regular basis is probably beans on toast with scrambles egg, a ham sandwich or oats so simple porridge... I eat Tuna sandwiches a lot too but Tuna is far from cheap.

People who say it isn't more expensive to eat healthier are deluded.

I suspect that 'healthy' when talking about it being cheaper refers to creating meals from scratch using veg and a cheap cut of meat. A nutrious stew for example that will make about 10 portions can cost <£10. Microwave meals, low fat or not, cannot be described as healthy. They're probably high in salt and sugar (since they're low fat) and full of preservatives.

I'd guess that buying a smoothie maker from Argos at meadowhall and then making your own would break even with a month or two and save you money after that. You get a lot of fruit for £4, and a smoothie maker is only about £20.