Is it time for more child free areas?

It's no problem if kids behave. The problem arises when parents don't teach kids how to behave. Too many parents talk to kids like adults. They try and bargain with them. It should be a case of behave or else. I don't mean hitting them but things like taking things off them and not giving them back! Too many times I see parents give an ultimatum and not follow it through just for easy life. Behave or PS3 goes on ebay....

I challenge you to give examples of where this actually happens.

Babies and children belong in libraries. Also, I've never seen babies in the cinema, apart from at Kino Bambino. Your argument is ridiculous and founded on prejudice rather than fact.

Children belong in certain bits of libraries. In Broomhill the upstairs is for children and the downstairs is for adults that want to study and work that works perfectly.

Last week I was watching blue jasmine at cineworld where a baby cried pretty much start to finish is one example. A few days ago I was having a meal at Rajput on commonside where unruly children where shouting and running aroun and being pain. That's two just of the top of my head.

Many cinemas do adult only showings of films, I hate screaming kids when I've paid to watch a film. I have a baby, but I wouldn't dare take her to a restaurant or cinema. It would ruin my meal and everyone else's if she was bored. One day she'll appreciate a nice meal out, until then she stays home!

Funny, we went out Thurs night, to a nice restaurant with our 2yr old. She had been threatened to behave or no pudding!

She was as good as gold.

However, the t*sspot on the next table who spent the time on his mobile shouting loudly ruined it for us.

Our neighbours children all behave impeccably, and I have mentioned this to their parents on a number of occasions as I believe credit where credit is due, and I like all of those children very much, but children in general aren't the most pleasant things to be around, especially not when you just want to relax and enjoy your time after work and at weekends!

So working parents have to sit on the house all weekend, having been at work all week, on the off chance their child mildly impacts on another adults for a few minutes

Most kids have a strop at some point. Most parents deal with it. If it winds you up that muchbit says more about you than the children

Childless/childfree couples are in the minority and most places, shops, bars, restaurants, cinemas etc cater to families so it's not like there aren't enough places to go with your kids!

I think the point is that there are very few adult-only establishments, yes there are certain times of the day where it's unlikely for kids to be in certain places but would it be so wrong to ask for just one or two exclusively adult-only bars or restaurants or even just adult-only evenings?

Also, not everyone wants kids but it doesn't mean we hate them!

How I wish some people would remember they were a child at one time.

and when we were children we weren't allowed in pubs at all.

I can appreciate how annoying some children/babies can be at times, believe me I want to throttle my own regularly! However, a blanket ban on them going to certain places is just ridiculous and I'm not even going to entertain the idea.

You cannot compare understanding how to bring up a child with how to look after a goldfish... I had no clue before I had kids! The baby stage is particularly difficult - you can't switch them off, they keep you up all night, they cry all day, you are EXHAUSTED and desperate for some adult company, you've tried feeding them, burping them, changed their nappy, played with them and still they cry. You can't even go to the toilet alone anymore so getting out of the house is a MUST to avoid going insane. ( I do love having kids by the way!)

Please have a bit of compassion for some of these parents. Yes I agree taking a baby into a non-baby screening at the cinema is a really stupid thing to do, and if the baby cries you should take them out, but if you have older kids as well it is really hard to keep everyone entertained at a restaurant, for example. I distinctly remember going to a Toby carvery when my son was about 18mths and he screamed if we tried to keep him in his seat, but just tried to run around if we let him out. We had ordered food so couldn't just leave, but, needless to say, we avoided that type of restaurant until he was older. Maybe the parents you see are thinking the same and wishing they hadn't bothered!

You don't get a handbook when you have a baby, none of us know what we're doing really, we just do the best we can! One day when you have kids you'll understand. Until then try to go to adult only places or stay at home - you don't really sound the paternal type anyway!

and when we were children we weren't allowed in pubs at all.

I was just thinking the same. Yet I think I still managed to learn how to behave.

In fact, when we went on holiday we did sometimes find a pub with a "family room" where my parents could take us. Remember those? :| For some reason I have strong memories of sitting in the family room of a pub near Great Yarmouth which absolutely stunk of tomato ketchup with Terry Wogan on the TV.

I think the parents of this thread are over reacting. The OP wasn't suggesting banning kids from everywhere - he was suggesting some venues should be for adults only. Those with kids would still be able to go out, just not to certain venues. I think that's a good idea.

I can appreciate how annoying some children/babies can be at times, believe me I want to throttle my own regularly! However, a blanket ban on them going to certain places is just ridiculous and I'm not even going to entertain the idea.

You cannot compare understanding how to bring up a child with how to look after a goldfish... I had no clue before I had kids! The baby stage is particularly difficult - you can't switch them off, they keep you up all night, they cry all day, you are EXHAUSTED and desperate for some adult company, you've tried feeding them, burping them, changed their nappy, played with them and still they cry. You can't even go to the toilet alone anymore so getting out of the house is a MUST to avoid going insane. ( I do love having kids by the way!)

Please have a bit of compassion for some of these parents. Yes I agree taking a baby into a non-baby screening at the cinema is a really stupid thing to do, and if the baby cries you should take them out, but if you have older kids as well it is really hard to keep everyone entertained at a restaurant, for example. I distinctly remember going to a Toby carvery when my son was about 18mths and he screamed if we tried to keep him in his seat, but just tried to run around if we let him out. We had ordered food so couldn't just leave, but, needless to say, we avoided that type of restaurant until he was older. Maybe the parents you see are thinking the same and wishing they hadn't bothered!

You don't get a handbook when you have a baby, none of us know what we're doing really, we just do the best we can! One day when you have kids you'll understand. Until then try to go to adult only places or stay at home - you don't really sound the paternal type anyway!

I think this child is rather discerning and a likely gourmand of the future-I bet they wil love real ale too.

Just wondering if it's time more institutions in Sheffield started to enforce a no child policy. On many occasions a nice meal has been ruined by a screaming baby or a toddler having a tantrum or just behaving poorly. So is it time more venues in sheffield started enforcing a no child policy after a certain time. I'm talking cinemas and restaurants.

PS. By child I mean anyone under 12 years of age.

I hate those pub restaurants that allow kids in . Licensed premises are for adults , kids should NOT be allowed in .

I hate those pub restaurants that allow kids in . Licensed premises are for adults , kids should NOT be allowed in .

Would you like to see such pubs operate a creche system,or would you put all the kids outside with the grumpy smokers?