Nightime noise from TATA Stocksbridge (Foxes)

As anyone else in Stocksbridge noticed recently the increase in noise being generated at a nightime from this plant?

Over the past few weeks the 'low humming' type noise has been more noticable than previously even with the windows fully closed. I am not sure as to contact with regard to this (if any maintenance work is being carried out or new machinery installed etc, if this has contributed to the problem).

I have lived up here many years and am aware of the background noise that has always occurred, but after walking up Sitwell Avenue last night, i just couldnt believe that the level of noise being generated by the works, would be accepatable in this day and age.

I am sure this level of noise at a nightime cannot be good for health, or sleep patterns for residents within the vicintiy.

I haven't noticed it to be any louder and i have windows open on a night. I'm sure there was something about this though in the look local at the beginning of the year

. I am not sure as to contact with regard to this (if any maintenance work is being carried out or new machinery installed etc, if this has contributed to the problem)..

First hit on Google:

http://www.tatasteeleurope.com/en/company/activities/speciality/

Tata Steel

Speciality Steels

Stocksbridge

Sheffield S36 2JA

United Kingdom

T +44 (0) 114 2882361

Enquiries.tss@tatasteel.com

No I must admit I haven't noticed any extra noise, and we're not too far from you (assuming you live somewhere near Sitwell). Will listen out when I take the dog out tonight, but then I tend to walk uphill away from the works. Definitely can't hear anything inside the house.

There was a very hilarious letter written in to Look Local a while back by a man suggesting the works should be shut down from 10pm!

Now I'm not a steelworker but I'm sure it's not just a case of flicking a switch off and on again of a morning! It made me laugh.

I can see into the works .never heard any thing but I am a dee dah lived in the middle of the steel, gas and electric works for 50yrs what noise?

The noise was a continual deep rumbling/whirring type noise, the strange thing is/was that walking up manchester road, until you get to the co-op you could not hear much.

After the co -op/hole house lane the noise was much louder, even noticable inside with double glazing. Which leads me to wonder if anything is left open, or noise reduction measures are not working.

Yea I noticed the humming last night, I thought they had started digging the foundation for the fox valley site.

It was late at night though, so I will investigate.

As anyone else in Stocksbridge noticed recently the increase in noise being generated at a nightime from this plant?

Over the past few weeks the 'low humming' type noise has been more noticable than previously even with the windows fully closed. I am not sure as to contact with regard to this (if any maintenance work is being carried out or new machinery installed etc, if this has contributed to the problem).

I have lived up here many years and am aware of the background noise that has always occurred, but after walking up Sitwell Avenue last night, i just couldnt believe that the level of noise being generated by the works, would be accepatable in this day and age.

I am sure this level of noise at a nightime cannot be good for health, or sleep patterns for residents within the vicintiy.

if it wasn't for the steel works there wouldn't be a stocksbridge to live in so get over it. lots of people in stocksbridge worked at the steel works and bought their houses with their redundancy money. I take it you wasn't born there and moved into the area, if its silence you want move another 7 miles towards Manchester onto the moors but beware those sheep can be noisey blighters:huh:

if it wasn't for the steel works there wouldn't be a stocksbridge to live in so get over it. lots of people in stocksbridge worked at the steel works and bought their houses with their redundancy money. I take it you wasn't born there and moved into the area, if its silence you want move another 7 miles towards Manchester onto the moors but beware those sheep can be noisey blighters:huh:

Typical as to why Stocksbridge is so insular, and fails to attract the investment to redevelop. How dare I question anything that the steelworks does or emits.

Typical as to why Stocksbridge is so insular, and fails to attract the investment to redevelop. How dare I question anything that the steelworks does or emits.

how inconsiderate of them to run their business when youre at home and not change their shift pattens to suit you. didn't the light come on when you moved to stocksbridge that a big steelworks might make a little noise. look into the history of stocksbridge then ask yourself who created stocksbridge and the jobs and houses that arose :loopy:

could be a number of things making that noise. Stocksbridge works doesnt actually make steel anymore, it further processes, refines and rolls steel. in the not too distant future there will be a new melting facility at the works, which will add to the noise generated I would imagine.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

gossip ive been given from 2 managers there! aswell as the new alloy smelter they are refurbishing two of the steel furnaces