Jimmy childs demolition

anyone know what became of james childs & sons demolition,i believe it was situated on corby rd grimesthorpe area, when i started work,the brother of my boss used to regale me with tales of when he used to work for childs,they had a somewhat reputation " if you want it down,we will get it down one way or another" i was also told their tip sort of overflowed once and destroyed a local youth club........it ended up with them having another one built .

I remember them well and Harry hodges they was always knocking stuff down all over sheffield in the sixtys and seventys me and my mates would stand watching the mobile crane and bulldozer knocking the prefabs and other stuff down in hackenthorpe.

Edited by allwednesday

as i mentioned before dave topham used to tell loads of stories about them,the funniest was when dennis topham decided to have his garage buisness extended at the rear there was a telegraph pole in the middle of the back yard, BT or what ever they were called then had been notified well in advance of the plans for the building but there was nothing done to remove the pole still connected at this point,until the the day arrived for work to begin,so dennis phoned BT and said when do you propose to move this pole ? because jimmy childs are on the way and it will be down very soon ! needless to say BT arrived just after lunch

I remember James Childs demolishing the properties on Colvers Yard off Upwell Street Grimesthorpe in the early 50's. Didn't understand what was happening then, just watched Leyland Comet wagons being loaded with rubble and wanted to drive one when I grew up :)

Edited by PeterR

I remember James Childs demolishing the properties on Colvers Yard off Upwell Street Grimesthorpe in the early 50's. Didn't understand what was happening then, just watched Leyland Comet wagons being loaded with rubble and wanted to drive one when I grew up :)

yep me too,only i wanted to be the digger driver and have a morris traveller when i grew up. i also spent hours watching the old shiregreen brick yard quarry being filled in. never got to do it though, first time i drove a morris 1000 i thought, nope ! not for me needless to say i did,nt venture to the jcb

yep me too,only i wanted to be the digger driver and have a morris traveller when i grew up. i also spent hours watching the old shiregreen brick yard quarry being filled in. never got to do it though, first time i drove a morris 1000 i thought, nope ! not for me needless to say i did,nt venture to the jcb

Hi local blade. My wife had a Morris Minor saloon in 1966. I had a Wolseley 1660 Farina (similar to Morris Oxford). The Minor wasn't up to the big Wolseley, but I enjoyed them both at that time. Technology has moved on now. For the better ??

Yes, I never did become a wagon/truck/bus/train driver. In later life it seemed too hard work for little money:hihi:

As a matter of interest I still enjoy the old cars, as well as my daily transport I have 1976 Morris Marina.

Edited by PeterR

They had a wood yard on Manor Lane and used to sell bags of logs for a tanner, I reckon it went into the sawmans beer fund.:hihi::hihi:

i drove for childs at corby rd with a aec six legger on demolition also re roll to the docks scrap to birmingham in the early seventys, jim & roy were hard men but fare to his men who worked hard.

Jimmy died afew yesrs ago I think Roy is still alive but I'm not sure. Jimmy lived on a private road at the bottom of twenty well lane.

as i mentioned before dave topham used to tell loads of stories about them,the funniest was when dennis topham decided to have his garage buisness extended at the rear there was a telegraph pole in the middle of the back yard, BT or what ever they were called then had been notified well in advance of the plans for the building but there was nothing done to remove the pole still connected at this point,until the the day arrived for work to begin,so dennis phoned BT and said when do you propose to move this pole ? because jimmy childs are on the way and it will be down very soon ! needless to say BT arrived just after lunch

What happened to Dennis? I heard he sold the business and emigrated, but last week heard from an old school mate that he was back in Sheffield.

My father by trade was a steeplejack who worked for Harrisons which was near the old Jessops hospital he left them to go and be a demolition forman for Jimmy Childs he had only been with Childs 6 months when he got killed at work he was working at the old Glasshouton colliery Castleford the mobile crane driver overloaded his load and the crane toppled over trapping my dad underneath he was in a coma for 3 days but died in Pinderfields Hospital Jimmy Childs company was found guilty of negligence and my mom was awarded compensation this was in the very early 60s my dads name was also JACK HEWITT RIP POPS.

My father by trade was a steeplejack who worked for Harrisons which was near the old Jessops hospital he left them to go and be a demolition forman for Jimmy Childs he had only been with Childs 6 months when he got killed at work he was working at the old Glasshouton colliery Castleford the mobile crane driver overloaded his load and the crane toppled over trapping my dad underneath he was in a coma for 3 days but died in Pinderfields Hospital Jimmy Childs company was found guilty of negligence and my mom was awarded compensation this was in the very early 60s my dads name was also JACK HEWITT RIP POPS.

Hello Jack,

I'm very sorry to learn of your tragedy. Have some idea of how it must have affected yourself and family. My dad died of cancer in 1960 aged 49 when I was 16 and the oldest of four children. Mother had a hard time.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR