Jump to content

"What3words"- novel geographic website

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

So is there any advanage in saying to emergency services flat 12, floor 18, llama.infotech,ulysses over flat 12, floor 18,  Netherthorpe Towers?

I am not aware that anyone is saying there is any extra advantage when you are in an urban environment and you know where you are.  What we ARE saying that when you are in the middle of nowhere and all you can see are empty fields this method would be a tad more advantageous then telling the services you are in a field god knows where!!!

 

If the emergency services are saying that it is useful and that they would like us to start having it available on our mobile devices then I think I might take their advice a tad more seriously than someone on an internet forum, otherwise next thing I know is that I will start thinking not vaccinating kids is a sound move!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a good App to have.  But in relation to my prior post "Big Brother Is Watching Us" and the capability of our mobile phones to be tracked with ease it seems, what would make What3words better. Is it a faster and more precise location finder perhaps. I am going to download the App in any case.

 

Angel1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alchemist said:

I am not aware that anyone is saying there is any extra advantage when you are in an urban environment and you know where you are.  What we ARE saying that when you are in the middle of nowhere and all you can see are empty fields this method would be a tad more advantageous then telling the services you are in a field god knows where!!!

 

 

The makers are saying it has advantages in an urban environment.

 

As for "lost in a field"

 

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/03/why-bother-with-what-three-words/

 

"W3W have a great PR team - pushing press releases which are then reported as uncriticalnews.

The most recent press release contains a ludicrous example:

Person dials the emergency services

Person doesn't know their location

Emergency services sends the person a link

Person clicks on link, opens web page

Web page geolocates user and displays their W3W location

Person reads out their W3W phrase to the emergency services

Here's the thing... If the person's phone has a data connection - the web page can just send the geolocation directly back to the emergency services! No need to get a human to read it out, then another human to listen and type it in to a different system.

There is literally no need for W3W in this scenario. If you have a data connection, you can send your precise location without an intermediary."

 

The link above contains some very interesting reading generally about the app.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Longcol said:

The makers are saying it has advantages in an urban environment.

 

As for "lost in a field"

 

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/03/why-bother-with-what-three-words/

 

"W3W have a great PR team - pushing press releases which are then reported as uncriticalnews.

The most recent press release contains a ludicrous example:

Person dials the emergency services

Person doesn't know their location

Emergency services sends the person a link

Person clicks on link, opens web page

Web page geolocates user and displays their W3W location

Person reads out their W3W phrase to the emergency services

Here's the thing... If the person's phone has a data connection - the web page can just send the geolocation directly back to the emergency services! No need to get a human to read it out, then another human to listen and type it in to a different system.

There is literally no need for W3W in this scenario. If you have a data connection, you can send your precise location without an intermediary."

 

The link above contains some very interesting reading generally about the app.

Lots of good stuff on that link but you've picked their worst argument to back up your point. What if someone has disabled geolocation in their browser because they don't want to constantly be tracked and are fed up of being repeatedly asked to allow it by sites that have no need to know their location? Getting someone to download an app and accept the permissions it asks for bypasses that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are some people arguing over its usefulness? 

 

The emergency services has said it has saved lives, it is a free app, and yet some people cant grasp the benefit of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, muddywolf said:

Why are some people arguing over its usefulness? 

 

The emergency services has said it has saved lives, it is a free app, and yet some people cant grasp the benefit of it.

 

I felt a similar way to you in my post No23.

 

Regardless of how great the potential of an idea there will always be plenty of negativity, at least on here anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, muddywolf said:

Why are some people arguing over its usefulness? 

 

The emergency services has said it has saved lives, it is a free app, and yet some people cant grasp the benefit of it.

 

Because this is Sheffield Forum.  If they don't understand or or don't agree with it then it's wrong, simple as.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)


I tend to think that how we are feeling can often reflect what we contribute.

I don't know if certain posters are always negative. Or as mentioned, they are negative only when they don't  agree or underdstand.

I don't mind being told I have got something wrong as happens occasionally , but it is  invariably  accompanied by abruptness or nastiness.

There is still too much "attacking the poster".

Edited by Janus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2019 at 19:28, muddywolf said:

Why are some people arguing over its usefulness? 

 

The emergency services has said it has saved lives, it is a free app, and yet some people cant grasp the benefit of it.

 

Beats the hell out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2019 at 20:36, Longcol said:

Not 100% convinced of that seeing as police / emergency services often use the phonetic alphabet to ensure clear transcription of words but no equivalent needed for 0-9.

 

 

It's not that no equivalent is needed for 0-9, just that there isn't an equivalent. It's very common for numbers to be misheard, happens all the time when trying to communicate phone numbers over the phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 10:05, onewheeldave said:

It's not that no equivalent is needed for 0-9, just that there isn't an equivalent. It's very common for numbers to be misheard, happens all the time when trying to communicate phone numbers over the phone.

Yes, saying 'o' or 'naught' is often mistaken for '4'.   Although I don't like americanisms, for this reason I use 'zero'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.