"What3words"- novel geographic website

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

Local posties can manage without quite easily - and have had no probs with house deliveries from Amazon, Ikea etc - the drivers appear eminently capable of reading road signs etc.

The creator didn't.  

It was born out of company founder Chris Sheldrick's postal-related problems growing up in rural Hertfordshire.

"Our postcode did not point to our house," he said.

"We got used to getting post meant for other people, or having to stand in the road to flag down delivery drivers."

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

I used to have a couple of gadgets called a "compass" and a "map" which would have saved me getting lost in the circumstances described.

But would they have helped the emergency services getting to you??

Oh, I can already picture this:

emergency services: "What is your location, sir?"

me: "Just a second, I need to connect to this useful website but my 3G connection is a bit slow, sorry about that."

emergency services: "..."

me: "Alright, the 3 word code is triskaidekaphobia, antidisestablishmentarianism, euouae"

emergency services: "Can you spell it for me, please?"

23 minutes ago, Branyy said:

me: "Just a second, I need to connect to this useful website but my 3G connection is a bit slow, sorry about that."

me: "Alright, the 3 word code is triskaidekaphobia, antidisestablishmentarianism, euouae"

If you're using the app on a smartphone, it doesn't need a network connection.

It will give a simpe three word location based on your GPS position and a (stored within the app itself) word-list.

If you're able to call emergency services on your phone, the app should work fine and you'll be able to report your three word location.

32 minutes ago, Branyy said:

I work for the emergency services and I can assure you that this app has saved the lives of people who have no idea where they are.  The words are all fairly short and easy to understand.

Even us 'Emergency Service People' can spell them.

Edited by Dales

I believe there are already emergency apps that automatically share your (GPS) location to the services called and don't require any internet connection.

I'm not sure about the UK but it's fairly standard at other EU countries.

46 minutes ago, Branyy said:

They are simple words, for instance in the middle of Glen Howe Park, a large wooded area, one location is rests.goats.learn  Good luck trying to guide them to that location!!!

18 minutes ago, alchemist said:

They are simple words, for instance in the middle of Glen Howe Park, a large wooded area, one location is rests.goats.learn  Good luck trying to guide them to that location!!!

Ok, one more time. How's the app different to:

https://crisisresponse.google/emergencylocationservice/how-it-works/

2 minutes ago, Branyy said:

Ok, one more time. How's the app different to:

https://crisisresponse.google/emergencylocationservice/how-it-works/

A 42m radius area vs a 1m2 area.. Only half have a less then 20m accuracy. 

The WhatThree Words would appear to be able to pinpoint a location much more accurately. 

5 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

A 42m radius area vs a 1m2 area.. Only half have a less then 20m accuracy. 

The WhatThree Words would appear to be able to pinpoint a location much more accurately. 

Yeah, that makes a difference, fair enough! Thanks!

Why not use both of these facilities? Surely they can only increase the chance of help if & when needed. 

Does the ELS system on android have to be initiated in some way or does it run automatically?