Acute pancreatitis

Hi I just wondered if anyone else has has this or know someone who has ?.

I was rushed to hospital with extreme stomach pains ,I was in a life threatening condition and later diagnosed with acute pancreatitis .The cause unknown as no gall stones found and I.m not a drinker .

I was discharged from hosp 8 days after ,still very swollen and in pain .

I had a mri scan 4 weeks after discharge and found to have a pancreatic pseudocyst ,I had a ct scan 4 weeks after that to check again and I go for the results of this in 3 weeks .

I feel really scared as I dont know anyone who has suffered from this at all and have been scaring myself by reading internet forums to try and find some info .

If anyone has had this in the past and can give me any advise I would be really greatful :help:

Have you been tested for lupus? It's in a panel done for autoimmune conditions by rheumatologists.

I've known 3 people hospitalised with acute pancreatitis and 2 of them have lupus, which once they were diagnosed changed their treatment.

Pancreatitis can be a dangerous condition, so it's good to hear that you made it through the really tough bits :)

I had a full set of blood tests done after the ct scan which was 4 weeks ago now .

I hav,nt heard from the hospital and my appointment isnt until 23rd oct so I am assuming nothing nasty has been detected .

I just feel a bit isolated because I dont know anyone who has had acute pancreatitis and most people dont even know what it is and how bad it is , I certainly didnt until I got it !.

I feel really well now and am back at work so hopefully it will be good news when I go for my appointment .

Thank you for the reply :)

When you go back for your appointment I'd make a point of asking whether you've been checked for autoimmune factors, just to be sure. It's not a test done on a routine basis in your blood panel and whilst it is possible that this is 'just one of those things', it's also possible that you have an autoimmune condition and if you have then being diagnosed could really help you long term. Most people with lupus have many years of being ill before the tests are ever run.

For your sake though, I really hope that this is an idiopathic one-off and that you make a full recovery with no long term damage :)

I will check on that , I know 1 of the tests was going to the immuniology ? dept.

Thankyou .

I'm not in any position to give advice, just wanted to say that someone is always here if you need to chat.

PM any time x

Thank you so much ,will do that .

I,m just finding it hard to come to terms with the suddennes of it ,one day fit and well the next in hospital with tubes and catheters etc ,wondering what the heck happened .

I,m just hoping the second scan has shown the pseudocyst to have shrunk or gone when I go for results on 23rd of this month .x

Was taken into RGH 18 months ago. they did not know if it was gallbladder or gall stones. But before I neas discharged they diagnosed pancreatitis bot after being sent home without returning after 4 months. They were going to operate and remove my gall bladder after I lost weight but 12 month on. With x-ray and scans they found nothing but I was never officially discharged by the consultant.

It seems not much is known about this horrible illness.

It is now over 3 months since my attack and I,m quite well now so hoping it will never return .

My consultant is Mr Gardner -Thorpe at the NGH .

I have been left really traumatised by the whole experience .:(