Help connecting smart tv to home theatre system

Have been given a Samsung home theatre dolby surround system,sounds great when playing a dvd,however i'm unable to get any sound when viewing tv.

Tv is connected via hdmi.

Tried connecting using red/white phono leads,but still no luck...tv has optical out,but home theatre doesn't.

Any help much appreciated :)

So you have HDMI from TV into Home Theatre? Have you set the Home Theatre system to HDMI input for the TV?? Did you get the manual for the HT system? What model is it?

Hi,its a Samsung HT-THX25,tv is a Samsung also,and no I don't have. the manual

The only options on the sound system are dvd,usb, or auxillary...guessing I should set it to aux,which I have.

Edited by deano

You need to connect an output on the TV to an input on the home theatre system. As far as I'm aware the HDMI cable only works the other way round. TVs will usually have an output on the scart socket if you can't make use of the optical out. The outputs are usually marked with a square or a circle with an arrow pointing outwards from it (or a two way arrow pointing in and out if its an input and output). Then you need to determine what type if plugs needed for the aux in on the home theatre system, this should be clearly marked. And work from there.

Edited by steroc

Thanks for all the help...it would appear the only output on the tv is the optical port,the phonos are input only,one option i think would work is to connect through the headphone jack using the red/white phono plugs.

Perhaps one of these would sort your problem out.

Perhaps one of these would sort your problem out.

Yep,that's the thing I need....i'm currently watching (listening) to it through the headphone jack.