Ale house fraser road

I think we may be having even more new members shortly 'cos i've heard today from 2 different sources that the Ale House is closing shortly .........................................................if true should have taken me on as his business manager EH!:hihi:

Anyone else heard over the weekend from different sources that the owner is putting the ale house up for sale this week?

Apparently he's posted something on facebook about it!:confused:

It is up for sale as he wishes to retire in a few years but he will be selective on who he sells it to, someone with a vision to run a pub with good beer and food at a reasonable price enjoyed by nice civilised people in a friendly atmosphere ("if you feel the need to swear then take your business elsewhere!"). A pub like the Sheaf View or Kelham Island Tavern for example.

It is up for sale as he wishes to retire in a few years but he will be selective on who he sells it to, someone with a vision to run a pub with good beer and food at a reasonable price enjoyed by nice civilised people in a friendly atmosphere ("if you feel the need to swear then take your business elsewhere!"). A pub like the Sheaf View or Kelham Island Tavern for example.

I'm sure that in this day and age when pubs are closing at the rate they are he can afford to be selective and pick and choose who he sells it too:huh:..................................................NOT! it will probably go for the right price tho':hihi:

You just need to read the Facebook page for the Ale House tells you everything you need to know

You just need to read the Facebook page for the Ale House tells you everything you need to know

Isn't that difficult when your not a member of facebook.:help:

Isn't that difficult when your not a member of facebook.:help:

Taken off their facebook page for people not on it :)

Further to our previous post, Julie and I both need a bit of a break and,unbelievable as it may seem, I actually qualify for a senior citizen's bus-pass.

I'm sure (almost) everyone will will distraught to hear this,but we have been giving some thought as to when and how we pass over the Ale House mantle to A N Other. We've put a fair bit of time and effort in over the past two and a half years and it's taken it's toll. So for any genuinely interested parties,here goes:-

We bought what became The Ale House in 2011 with the aim of creating a real ale house in the suburbs (on the lines of the wonderful Kelham Island,Sheaf View and others). We don't do televisions,fruit machines or pool tables. What we do do are food,drink (and games!) and we have built up a loyal and ever increasing clientele based on the old-fashioned concepts of good value and good manners. We want people of all ages to feel comfortable and unthreatened in our pub. From day one we posted a sign 'if you wish to swear, please drink elsewhere' and,thankfully,they do.

Our opening times are very limited - we are probably Sheffield's first part-time real ale house. We never open before 4 pm and close at 9pm or earlier on at least two days per week. Turnover,however,is increasing all the time as people tire of the boorish behaviour tolerated in so many other establishments. We never advertise (other than on this page) - we prefer our custom to be generated by word of mouth. A number of social groups now use our facilities.

We have a fair sized concert room (holds around 70/80 people) but only accept functions in our 'entertainments suite' from regulars. We do not do wakes (although the boneyard is only a few yards up the road). There is so much scope for someone younger,leaner and hungrier to capitalise on what we have built up so far without having to compromise on principles.

The Ale House is held on a 99 year lease (from1963) so has 48 years left to go. The ground rent is £136 per annum fixed for the entire period.Other overheads are extremely modest. Because we are entirely independent (free of any tie) we can buy all our products at favourable prices (ales cost us around half the price of a tied - house) so get excellent margins on our sales. We have rental income from the 4 bedroomed flat upstairs and from the weekly Slimming World sessions. Full trading figures are available on request.

Julie and I are in no hurry to leave - but there's no way I want to be still pulling pints in 2062! We would happily stay on to bed-in our successors. We wouldn't sell to any Tom,Dick or Baz - we are proud of what we have created and have made some good friends in the locality; either we find the right people to succeed us or we simply go a bit more part-time (Wednesdays and Fridays would suit me just fine!)

If you're decent,solvent and enjoy working a ninety hour week call in and have a chat…..

Taken off their facebook page for people not on it :)

Further to our previous post, Julie and I both need a bit of a break and,unbelievable as it may seem, I actually qualify for a senior citizen's bus-pass.

I'm sure (almost) everyone will will distraught to hear this,but we have been giving some thought as to when and how we pass over the Ale House mantle to A N Other. We've put a fair bit of time and effort in over the past two and a half years and it's taken it's toll. So for any genuinely interested parties,here goes:-

We bought what became The Ale House in 2011 with the aim of creating a real ale house in the suburbs (on the lines of the wonderful Kelham Island,Sheaf View and others). We don't do televisions,fruit machines or pool tables. What we do do are food,drink (and games!) and we have built up a loyal and ever increasing clientele based on the old-fashioned concepts of good value and good manners. We want people of all ages to feel comfortable and unthreatened in our pub. From day one we posted a sign 'if you wish to swear, please drink elsewhere' and,thankfully,they do.

Our opening times are very limited - we are probably Sheffield's first part-time real ale house. We never open before 4 pm and close at 9pm or earlier on at least two days per week. Turnover,however,is increasing all the time as people tire of the boorish behaviour tolerated in so many other establishments. We never advertise (other than on this page) - we prefer our custom to be generated by word of mouth. A number of social groups now use our facilities.

We have a fair sized concert room (holds around 70/80 people) but only accept functions in our 'entertainments suite' from regulars. We do not do wakes (although the boneyard is only a few yards up the road). There is so much scope for someone younger,leaner and hungrier to capitalise on what we have built up so far without having to compromise on principles.

The Ale House is held on a 99 year lease (from1963) so has 48 years left to go. The ground rent is £136 per annum fixed for the entire period.Other overheads are extremely modest. Because we are entirely independent (free of any tie) we can buy all our products at favourable prices (ales cost us around half the price of a tied - house) so get excellent margins on our sales. We have rental income from the 4 bedroomed flat upstairs and from the weekly Slimming World sessions. Full trading figures are available on request.

Julie and I are in no hurry to leave - but there's no way I want to be still pulling pints in 2062! We would happily stay on to bed-in our successors. We wouldn't sell to any Tom,Dick or Baz - we are proud of what we have created and have made some good friends in the locality; either we find the right people to succeed us or we simply go a bit more part-time (Wednesdays and Fridays would suit me just fine!)

If you're decent,solvent and enjoy working a ninety hour week call in and have a chat…..

I certainly am not knocking your reasons for selling the place,but why did you buy it in the first place?being so close to retirement,and state that you require 'a bit of a break after only 2 1/2 Years in the business,surely that can't be good business or planning.What about your investment you must be getting rid at a loss!

It does seem that the customers are a secondary thought as you also state you are a part time business already and thinking of yet more reduction in opening days,what about them.The whole situation just seems strange to me.:confused:

I certainly am not knocking your reasons for selling the place,but why did you buy it in the first place?being so close to retirement,and state that you require 'a bit of a break after only 2 1/2 Years in the business,surely that can't be good business or planning.What about your investment you must be getting rid at a loss!

It does seem that the customers are a secondary thought as you also state you are a part time business already and thinking of yet more reduction in opening days,what about them.The whole situation just seems strange to me.:confused:

Probably best asking them not me - as I said it's off their facebook page, I have nothing to do with the place :)

Well, speaking from experience as someone who pursued a lifelong dream to have his own pub then only did it for 18 months, I can say that what appears to be everything you want when you first go into it sometimes doesn't turn out that way. And judging by the fact this guy clearly bought it close to retirement and only opened odd hours, once could easily assume he was doing it more as a hobby than a business...

Our pub was too tied for me to get the range of drinks in I really wanted. And the clientelle were the same every week. Which for the most point was nice but they took an exception to me having a night off and going drinking somewhere else. Asking if they were good enough to serve but not drink with. And if you changed too much they didn't like it. So the place kinda becomes your tomb. If you know what I mean.

That said, judging by what has been started here, and if the pub isn't tied to a particular supplier so you could negotiate your own beer deals and get some proper craft stuff in, this would be tempting.

Probably best asking them not me - as I said it's off their facebook page, I have nothing to do with the place :

Yes sorry,I realise that,but as I am not on facebook was just trying to address the statement from this forum as it seems relevant to this thread

The longer this thread goes on, the more it just seems like a troll / smear campaign. It just makes me think, I`ve not been in for a bit, must go soon!

The longer this thread goes on, the more it just seems like a troll / smear campaign. It just makes me think, I`ve not been in for a bit, must go soon!

Totally agree Jemson a certain user who clearly has an affiliation with another local venue has done nothing but slag off The Ale House. I personally think its because they are worried about the competition It's funny really because the clientèle of The Ale house are unlikely to ever be customer of the other venue.