Real Ales, Wines & Spirits

What are your favourite wines and spirits to have stand alone, with or in food.

I say this as things like whiskey and rum make great sauces while vodka and lemonade is great for parties.

Also, what is the difference between single barrel and single malt, aren't they the same things?

What about real ales, having did some bar work at a beer and cider fesitval for Students Union this year, I was astounded by the range on offer.

This can also include cider and fruit based drinks.

I think single barrel means all the whisky in a bottle is from the same barrel...even though a single malt is supposed to not be blended I think they can use whisky from different barrels or batches to fill the bottle to give a consistent colour/taste..

For a whisky I think Ardbeg 10yr old takes some beating although a £40+ a bottle its more a treat than a regular tipple.

I think it would be quicker to list the alcoholic beverages I don't drink!! :hihi:

We always stock up on rum when we go on holiday, usually a golden/dark rum like 7 year Havana Club or Don Barcelo.

I'm not a whisky or bourbon drinker but we have just discovered Jim Beam's Red Stag bourbon with black cherry and it is just delicious...one of the few spirits I can drink neat!

Not a big vodka fan, it doesn't agree with me and I love Bombay Sapphire gin but I've been banned from drinking it as it makes me loopy!

My favourite whisky is Laphroaig but I rarely have it in the house or I'd be smashed all the time, I usually just get a bottle for Xmas and see how long it lasts.

In pubs it's whatever real ale looks interesting.

Restaurants it's red wine.

At home it's red wine and whatever interesting bottles of beer/lager/cider may be on offer locally.

In a certain bar in Molyvos it's Long Island Ice Teas and Jellybean cocktails.

An eclectic mix.

My favourite whisky is Laphroaig but I rarely have it in the house or I'd be smashed all the time, I usually just get a bottle for Xmas and see how long it lasts.

In pubs it's whatever real ale looks interesting.

Restaurants it's red wine.

At home it's red wine and whatever interesting bottles of beer/lager/cider may be on offer locally.

In a certain bar in Molyvos it's Long Island Ice Teas and Jellybean cocktails.

An eclectic mix.

I always find Laphroaig Quarter Cask is better than their 10yr old but its always the 10yr old that the supermarkets seem to stock.

I think it would be quicker to list the alcoholic beverages I don't drink!! :hihi:

Same here!

Red wine - I'm pretty easy going and can't think of one that I don't like.

White wine - I love a NZ Suavignon Blanc, Riesling (old and new world), Picpoul de Pinet and Albarino at the moment.

Fizz - Prosecco does me very well

Gin - Monkey 47

Beer - stout, porter amber ale and bitter - essentially anything that isn't hoppy.

Cocktails - the classics - martinis, manhattans and old fashions are a few of my favourites.

Another vote for laphroaig!! I love the stuff.

Wine - only red for me. Chilean\Argentinean merlot faves.

Beer - porters\stout and darkish beers. Found a nice heather beer from Mitchell's last week. Was lovely. I'm a bit of a beer snob though I'm embarrassed to say!

Homebrew......blackberry wine and sloe gin!

Also river cottage ginger beer. 2 days to make and 4%!

Steve

Also river cottage ginger beer. 2 days to make and 4%!

Steve

Sounds good... Also... liking the blog. You based in Sheffield?

Yes I am in Sheffield. Only just started but hopefully it will get better!! Thanks for having a look at it!

Steve

Real Ales- Last year, I visited the Little Valley Brewery near Hebden Bridge that produces organic beers, and really enjoyed their range of beers, especially their Ginger pale Ale. This is available in bottles as 'The Worlds only organic, vegan, bottle conditioned, Fairtrade Ginger Pale Ale'

I'm no way a vegan, but I do like this and was pleased to find that they are supplying bottles and casks to pubs and offies around Yorkshire.

Not found their beers in any pub yet, but the Offie at Handsworth top has a good selection of their bottled beers. - Tod's Blonde, Stodley Stout, Moor Ale to name a few!