Small wedding venue/garden/BBQ

hi I am just looking for ideas for a small wedding reception next 4th July. We are going to get married at Doncaster register office (live in donny) an we only want our immediate family with us

For the reception I don't want a big fuss I would like a small garden party or BBQ or pub with private room hire/ideally with outside area

There will be a maximum of 13-20 people there total

Most venues I've seen seem to aim at the full package or 50+ guests. It needs to be in South Yorkshire

Visit some of the Hotels you like the look of and talk to them. I can't remember which one we used for our friends but there was just the six of us and their baby. We had a table in their dining room. It was a very small hotel rural/semi-rural. Our friends got married mid week and we just went their for lunch so there wasn't anyone else eating there. Some Hotels have different dinig rooms so you may find one with a dining room you can have on private hire.

It's proving difficult since there isn't many of us

These are advertising private dining for groups of 12 - 40 people.

http://www.rossingtonhall.co.uk/dining/private-dining/

Why not see if these have a suitable sizedprivate dining room? You could even get married there if you want. Garden looks nice for photos.

http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels/mount-pleasant-hotel-doncaster-83733/weddings/default.aspx

How about the Crown Hotel at Bawtry? They do packages. I got married at the Rutland Hotel in Sheffield which is there Sister Company and they were absolutely fantastic... im sure the Crown would be quite similar. Just for inquiring at the Rutland we received a complimentary 1 night stay with an evening meal and breakfast - this was before we even put our deposit down :) Worth a call x

We are looking to have a small reception when we get home from honeymoon ideally either 20th july, 2nd or 30th august no more than 25ish people (tbc). Ideally we would like it to be a BBQ/or hog roast style, nothing formal. we are struggling to find a venue that is suitable for a small party-

we are able to arrange our own catering if required (we've looked at doncaster hog roast).any suggestions? wouldnt mind it being like a big field (with facilities) or a private beer garden, or function room if necessary

no service needed, and we dont want any formal sit down (ridiculously overpriced per head) meal

We are looking to have a small reception when we get home from honeymoon ideally either 20th july, 2nd or 30th august no more than 25ish people (tbc). Ideally we would like it to be a BBQ/or hog roast style, nothing formal. we are struggling to find a venue that is suitable for a small party-

we are able to arrange our own catering if required (we've looked at doncaster hog roast).any suggestions? wouldnt mind it being like a big field (with facilities) or a private beer garden, or function room if necessary

no service needed, and we dont want any formal sit down (ridiculously overpriced per head) meal

Why don't you have it in your own garden and hire in a hog roast? I think hog roasts cater for larger numbers than that though. My cousin has had bigger family gatherings than that with a hog roast in her small garden so you should be fine.

Find a local pub with outside space and ask them about hot roast pork sandwiches.

Instead of looking at hotels why not look at local restaurants or even cafes that you could take over and have exclusive use of. You could decorate it how you like and create a dance floor area. Failing that just have it in your own back garden and do a BBQ or hire caterers. Like somebody has already said a hog roast is a great idea or how about afternoon tea or fish and chips. I know a fantastic lady who has a fab ice cream van in Doncaster which would also be ideal. If you'd like the details let me know. I also know a guy who has a mobile bar and serves real ales. I love the idea of a small garden wedding because you can party all night long if you want to. You could make the garden look so pretty with a gazebo, fairy lights and flowers etc. Weddings can still be beautiful on a budget and with a few guests. Good luck. xx

Instead of looking at hotels why not look at local restaurants or even cafes that you could take over and have exclusive use of. You could decorate it how you like and create a dance floor area. Failing that just have it in your own back garden and do a BBQ or hire caterers. Like somebody has already said a hog roast is a great idea or how about afternoon tea or fish and chips. I know a fantastic lady who has a fab ice cream van in Doncaster which would also be ideal. If you'd like the details let me know. I also know a guy who has a mobile bar and serves real ales. I love the idea of a small garden wedding because you can party all night long if you want to. You could make the garden look so pretty with a gazebo, fairy lights and flowers etc. Weddings can still be beautiful on a budget and with a few guests. Good luck. xx

I agree but I wouldn't use a gazebo. Hire a fairly strong marquee or buy a cheaper 'domestic' one off Gala Tents and sell it on again.

There are some nice community centres/village halls. Costco do some really nice buffet food, its great value and good quality. I can provide vintage china.

I would love a garden reception, it would be my ideal, i'd have fairly lights/flowers etc, and we can personalise our food (not the nasty standard buffet stuff most pubs seem to want to give you.)

Unfortunately our garden just isnt big enough, we think the numbers now will be 20, its just too many for my house.

Someone suggested having a picnic/bbq at clumber park, but then (me being practical) thought about if theres any near by toilets etc/people would have to drive/couldnt have a drink if they wanted

So far we cant seem to find any pubs that just hire out a beer garden (for exclusive use) and alot of the function rooms are chargeable/want to provide DJ's/their buffets which we didnt want.

its stressing me out to the point where we're thinking lets not bother. My parents are taking us for a meal straight after the wedding itself, before we go to the airport, and I'd be happy with that- but then theres the rest of the family.

Just a shame I dont have a bigger garden- we even looked into the costing up of moving house before the wedding!

How big is your garden?

My last house was a new house with small garden, approx 35ft by 35ft. I had a good sized pond and a big flower bed taking up quite a bit of room. Our weekends and evening were spent eating and cooking outside with friends and neighbours. An average number was ten adults and around the same number of kids. The kids used to run around rather than sit down all evening though.

My cousin had a similar sized garden and used to have her kids birthday parties in the garden. They were often the whole family rather than just the kids, heaven knows how many of us used to fit in the garden. She used to have a professional hog roast for the food.

Just put up a couple of gazebos or a small marquee style tent for shelter from rain or sun.

Clumber has a BBQ / picnic area but it wouldn't be just for private use. The guests could stay at clumber hotel or pitch a tent. What would they do if the party was at your house? I'm assuming they would still have to get a bus, taxi or drive home.

When I say small, it's small.. It's about 5ft wide 15ft long and then has a bit at the bottom to get a table and chairs in, it's only a terrace I have.

It's why id have liked to have hired a pub beer garden or a section of it but can't seem to find anything that's not going to cost a fortune