Driveway signposted simply "Rydalhurst"

Again, whilst having a walk over Wadsley common on my way back I noticed at the top of Rydalhurst Avenue a driveway with a sign that simply said "Rydalhurst", just here

http://goo.gl/maps/lY3GC

Is it a private residence? Or something else?

looks like a private residence path

It's a private residence, though perhaps divided into apartments nowadays. It was built in the 1870s, and in the early 1900s it was the home of Arthur Thomas Bescoby (1857-1920) a paper bag manufacturer. Here is a photo dating from c. 1914 showing the bewhiskered Arthur sitting in a wrought-iron chair in the front garden.

Edited by hillsbro

It's a private residence, though perhaps divided into apartments nowadays. It was built in the mid-19th century, and in the early 1900s it was the home of Arthur Thomas Bescoby (1857-1920) a paper bag manufacturer. Here is a photo dating from c. 1914 showing the bewhiskered Arthur sitting in a wrought-iron chair in the front garden.

Thanks Hillsboro.

My grandma and her sisters used to work at bescobys in the 1910/20's. They were based I believe somewhere off the old corporation street. It was piece work and they often ending up with bleeding fingers.

My grandma said they used to make paper lined pleated sweet bags with drawstrings, for quality confectioners. Even in her early 90s she could still line the bottom of a cake ring for Christmas cakes etc.. Once the paper bottom was on it was tight enough to take the mixture (no metal bottom).

Thanks Hillsboro.

My grandma and her sisters used to work at bescobys in the 1910/20's. They were based I believe somewhere off the old corporation street....

Yes - on Spring Street - here is a scan from a 1920s directory..:)

Hillsboro, is that the house the body snatchers used to keep the bodys in the garden awaiting departure to the infirmary for cutting up?

Hillsboro, is that the house the body snatchers used to keep the bodys in the garden awaiting departure to the infirmary for cutting up?
Well it's a new one on me, but you never know...:o

Well it's a new one on me, but you never know...:o
ok Phil i will look it up in my Wadsley book.

... in the early 1900s it was the home of Arthur Thomas Bescoby (1857-1920) a paper bag manufacturer...
I just found another photo and biography of A.T. Bescoby in the 1905 "Who's Who in Sheffield", giving his residence as "Rydalhurst, Wadsley" - see here.