Netflix on my tv?

Just remember that if you're a picture quality snob the wii only outputs 720.

You mean 480p or 576i.

You mean 480p or 576i.

Oh dear, worse that i thought.

When it comes to Netflix on consoles some are limited.

Wii supports 480p stereo audio,

Xbox 360 supports 720p surround sound,

PS3 supports 1080p SuperHD surround sound,

Wii U supports 1080p SuperHD stereo sound.

On Android I think it may also only support 480p as it looks really poor compared to watching stuff on YouTube in HD.

Personally I use a WDTV Live for Netflix as its the best picture and sound quality. PS3 has excellent picture quality too but on my surround system doesn't sound as good as it doesn't out Dolby Digital Plus only Dolby Digital. I wouldn't normally expect that to be a problem but it seems to sound really flat in comparison.

If I were to pick up a new box for Netflix today I would probably go for the WDTV Play as its meant to be a faster version of the WDTV Live with the only down side of having one less USB port.

When it comes to Netflix on consoles some are limited.

Wii supports 480p stereo audio,

Xbox 360 supports 720p surround sound,

PS3 supports 1080p SuperHD surround sound,

Wii U supports 1080p SuperHD stereo sound.

On Android I think it may also only support 480p as it looks really poor compared to watching stuff on YouTube in HD.

Personally I use a WDTV Live for Netflix as its the best picture and sound quality. PS3 has excellent picture quality too but on my surround system doesn't sound as good as it doesn't out Dolby Digital Plus only Dolby Digital. I wouldn't normally expect that to be a problem but it seems to sound really flat in comparison.

If I were to pick up a new box for Netflix today I would probably go for the WDTV Play as its meant to be a faster version of the WDTV Live with the only down side of having one less USB port.

I watch Netflix through the original Wii on a 42" LED TV and to be honest, I don't mind the picture at all. As a child of the VHS era, I'm easily impressed and definitely not a picture snob.

The quality difference is noticeable when I plug the Android tablet into the TV upstairs and watch Neflix, but still I have no issue with watching it through the Wii.

I am, however, disgusted with Microsoft for holding existing Netflix customers to ransom (if they want to watch Netflix through their Xbox)

I've got a Kindle Fire HD with an HDMI cable. I can stream LoveFilm directly to virtually any TV now which is very useful for keeping the kids entertained wherever you go. If anyone is interested in the kit:

Kindle Fire HD now only £119 (also 10% off any kindle device offer code JU7Q-DWYSJL-RQPEEB)

Kindle Fire HD HDMI cable £5.95 (this is the 3 metre cable I bought)

You'll probably need a case too

2 months free trial for LoveFilm offer code DD10JAN10 (worked for me)

I watch Netflix through the original Wii on a 42" LED TV and to be honest, I don't mind the picture at all. As a child of the VHS era, I'm easily impressed and definitely not a picture snob.

The quality difference is noticeable when I plug the Android tablet into the TV upstairs and watch Neflix, but still I have no issue with watching it through the Wii.

I am, however, disgusted with Microsoft for holding existing Netflix customers to ransom (if they want to watch Netflix through their Xbox)

I am a child of the VHS era but that doesn't mean I am EVER satisfied no matter how good picture quality gets. ;) Also, the only difference between those two devices output is one will be component (very poor even by SD standards) and the other HDMI. Both however will be showing a 480p stream, even if Android may be upscaling it (depends on the tablets resolution).

If your broadband is up to it, why put up with worse than HD if you don't have to?

I've got a Kindle Fire HD with an HDMI cable. I can stream LoveFilm directly to virtually any TV now which is very useful for keeping the kids entertained wherever you go. If anyone is interested in the kit:

Kindle Fire HD now only £119 (also 10% off any kindle device offer code JU7Q-DWYSJL-RQPEEB)

Kindle Fire HD HDMI cable £5.95 (this is the 3 metre cable I bought)

You'll probably need a case too

2 months free trial for LoveFilm offer code DD10JAN10 (worked for me)

Except nobody was asking about LoveFilm, in fact I am 99% sure their TV already supports LoveFilm as the LG Smart 3DTVs have done for a long time. Unfortunately I find the content and picture/sound quality is dreadful on LoveFilm. Netflix has 5.1 surround sound in 1080p, LoveFilm the last I checked only goes up to 720p in stereo and seems particularly poorly encoded at that with huge black crush on some movies.

Netflix on the other hand only works on the newer models as they used newer encryption on the UK service (due to the US encryption getting cracked) that the current hardware could not support. Its why none of the Bluray players were upgraded either, even models where the US model supported Netflix. This was good though, all Bluray players that support UK Netflix support 1080p, the older models were only 720p. I believe there is only the Roku LT and Xbox 360 that are restricted to 720p for Netflix UK.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I am a child of the VHS era but that doesn't mean I am EVER satisfied no matter how good picture quality gets. ;) Also, the only difference between those two devices output is one will be component (very poor even by SD standards) and the other HDMI. Both however will be showing a 480p stream, even if Android may be upscaling it (depends on the tablets resolution).

If your broadband is up to it, why put up with worse than HD if you don't have to?

I couldn't really tell you the reason, but Netflix on the bedroom 36" TV is crystal clear through the HDMI lead from my Cyclone Voyager 10.1"

There's a very noticeable difference

I did wonder actually if Netflix works in HD on tablets but not on phones, as I do not have a tablet I cannot test that.

I did wonder actually if Netflix works in HD on tablets but not on phones, as I do not have a tablet I cannot test that.

How would I tell? The picture from my Android through my TV is way clearer than my non-HD Sky TV picture, so I'm guessing the Android Netflix may be in HD. Is there any way to know for sure?

Except nobody was asking about LoveFilm

As a conversation about streaming these services to a TV, I would say it's relevant.

I just like the convenience for the Kindle over a WII or similar console. That is all.

How would I tell? The picture from my Android through my TV is way clearer than my non-HD Sky TV picture, so I'm guessing the Android Netflix may be in HD. Is there any way to know for sure?

I don't think you can on the UK service.

On the US service there is a test stream called "example short 23.976" that tells you the bitrate and resolution currently streaming and my phone only goes up to 512x384 which sucks for a 1080p phone. Its not a "bad" picture as it seems to do smooth upscaling, but its very soft and lacking detail. You are right though, I think its STILL better than Sky in SD (unless you are using an SDTV).

Unfortunately on the UK service none of their "example short" streams seem to tell you that information.

I don't think you can on the UK service.

On the US service there is a test stream called "example short 23.976" that tells you the bitrate and resolution currently streaming and my phone only goes up to 512x384 which sucks for a 1080p phone. Its not a "bad" picture as it seems to do smooth upscaling, but its very soft and lacking detail. You are right though, I think its STILL better than Sky in SD (unless you are using an SDTV).

Unfortunately on the UK service none of their "example short" streams seem to tell you that information.

Well, I'm happy with it, on the Wii or the Android. With it only being £5.99 a month, we're considering cancelling Sky.

Come Christmas, I'll be taking LoveFilm up on their free trial period, if there's enough differing content (to Netflix) then we might as well sign up to that too. At £4.99 a month alongside the Netflix fee, it's cheaper (and better) than Sky