S.c.c.e anyone remember working on the old council

Any one remember working for the city engineers names and tales to tell any of the old foreman etc a

yeah me, I worked @ Olive Grove from 1970 until last year when i retired.

if someone had wrote a book, it would have been a bestseller, happy days.

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 22:27 ----------

started not long after you raizuli3,hows it going mi owd friend,hope youre enjoying retirement.

I started in 1966 untill 1990 Grit man you said it would have been a best seller people would have NEVER believed some of the characters that I came across in the years I worked there including myself people have tails to tell about myself some of the drivers and plant operators over the years could have a book all to themselves anyone who knows the story about two drivers who both had serious STAMMERS argueing with each other I was lucky enough to be present FUNNY just doesn't come close (Tom Jones) nickname real name Barry ? Sorry forgot surname and SILUBREOUS think that is spelt right also nickname were arguing over JACK Silubreous little Jack Russell dog this was in the night room we had for drivers on night gritting duties we didn't get much further than the FFFFFFFFFFU*KING LLLLLLLLLLITTLE BBBBBBBBBAST*RD HHHHHAS JJJJJJUST EEEEEEATEN MMMMMMY DDDDDDDDDINER says Tom Jones FFFFFFFFFFU*K OOOOOOOFF says Silubreous this argument went on for days there are so many more stories about both of them plus hundreds more regarding others HAPPY DAYS.

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 12:15 ----------

Is this Mr S from the OG DEPOT.

barry keithley. jack, some of the best stories was at dunmow road, from tommy brady.

barry keithley. jack, some of the best stories was at dunmow road, from tommy brady.

Thanks Grit Man that's the one he lived on the Lowedges or Batemoor estate if my memory serves me right the BEST YEARS of my working life were at Dunmow rd I spent 7yrs driving a 3 point roller in "Chief" Gordon Souths RIP tarmac gang Kevin Oxley driver Bernard Ashbury RIP splash man some stories to be told there I can tell you you are so right about KABBOOBIE and his stories eg Monties apple, motor bike and side car, wrestling with the python the list is endless once you had started him off it was pull up a chair time not only stories at work we were all good mates socially down town every Friday night between 20 to 30 strong real HAPPY DAYS.

Thanks Grit Man that's the one he lived on the Lowedges or Batemoor estate if my memory serves me right the BEST YEARS of my working life were at Dunmow rd I spent 7yrs driving a 3 point roller in "Chief" Gordon Souths RIP tarmac gang Kevin Oxley driver Bernard Ashbury RIP splash man some stories to be told there I can tell you you are so right about KABBOOBIE and his stories eg Monties apple, motor bike and side car, wrestling with the python the list is endless once you had started him off it was pull up a chair time not only stories at work we were all good mates socially down town every Friday night between 20 to 30 strong real HAPPY DAYS.

hiya I worked ont corp for three years in the late 50s, and some who worked at that time were seen to be believed, we were working on the bridge at totley bottom at mickley lane and a street cleaning wagon past us with a new driver to our depot parkhead, next morning we all gathered for a job detail we missed it but found out later that the new sweeper we had seen

had had a complaint on his first day, why was a corp wagon doing the streets of holmesfield nobody had told him to turn left up Victoria road to bradway.another thing I never understood why we were sent on hathersage rd to repair the dry stone walls always in the winter why not summer time then it was told to me in the summer we would spend our time sunbathing that's why it was winter time.another time we loaded a wagon with salt to spread out to foxhouse when we got there the driver said to just have a smoke and we will do the return journey, then we'd had a smoke we told him sorry no more salt left we'd used the full load on one side of hathersage rd.

was talking to one the other week who also worked ont corp his name was david, a joiner will find his surname worked at onetime with david shaw a bricklayer who sadly died in the Manchester plane accident some years ago

I worked with david when he was an apprentice on several jobs, one I remember was the big stone wall aside the abbey hotel at woodseats the foreman was jack bradbury.

Edited by willybite

Worked at the old Olive Grove workshops from 1963 to 1970 served my apprenticeship as a Fitter one of the best times of my working life as every day was different. The workshops foreman at that time were Aubrey Kelly and Ken Stowe. You really could write a book based on what went off over the years especially the Christmas nights out. Happy days.

plenty of 'good 'ole boys' mentioned there...what about 'little sport' Alvin Hancock)..'smilin' Bill Swindon..Albert Greenhedge..'Big' John Cawthorne.....Ken Hollinshead..'The Colonel' Anderson..'blotch'..'The Big 6'..'Union Jack Howarth..not forgetting myself Alan Jones...oh, the list is endless.

Going back to Dunmow Rd what about when Polard Ave closed and everyone moved to Dunmow rd you have never seen footy games like them at dinner times seen some blood spilt on many an occasion paviors v drivers and plant men Big Graham Downs, Rowley , Ray Price and so on we even had grudge matches against Wood Ln Stannington the gaffers just didn't give a **** games went on for hours Ron or Tom ? forgot Monks father of Dave Monks who played for the BLADES, Phil Hatton RIP, Albert Price RIP, Tommy (Kaboobie) Bradey I remember Phil Hatton going into a thunder box on the Flower Estate and getting locked in someone set a fire underneath it not realising that a can of petrol was also inside you can laugh after the event but panic set in I can tell you like I said so many memories.

I worked at Dunmow road as an apprentice bill cawthorne learnt us remember Roland hartle ronnie register Stan the yard man wardrobe Ron then I went to olive grove Steve/Barry Baum David Shutt Stuart Mckenzie Alan Barlow John cottie is jack Hewitt mad jack the lorry driver the BLADES fan

Edited by alba

people would have NEVER believed some of the characters .

Most people would never believe that there ever was a 'Sheffield Corporation' anything. SCCD, SWD, Those were the days when you knew who to complain to. Not that there was much cause for complaint back then.