Reel to reel tape recorder

Can anyone lend me one, so's I can transfer stuff to digital? Have just inherited tons of stuff from my dear old (dead) Uncle Leon....

Once had an Akai one what a machine it was i haven't even seen one for years but you may well find one to loan on here good luck.

Problem is many of these machines are now collectors items and in some cases valuable, ie a Sony TC 765 is worth around £500+, but there are still lots of much cheaper ones sold on ebay. The common speeds are 7.5 in/sec and 3.75 in/sec but some home recordings done in the 50s/60s might be at 1.875 in/sec and not many have this speed.

Ultimately, if you're going to digitise the recordings then it shouldn't matter if the machine you use to make the analogue to digital conversion is of a higher speed than your original recordings, as you can transpose/slow it down digitally afterwards. That being said, for better quality results, it is better to have a slow source that you then speed up than a higher-speed source that you have to slow down. You'd be capturing more raw data more easily in the first scenario which is always better. Once your material is digitised, generational copies won't degrade the output like analogue would have unless you intentionally change bit rate or use compression, but the first generation copy is the most important for this reason. If the audio is really important to you, invest in a good sound card (look for higher SNR values) - on board audio can introduce a lot of unwanted external audio characteristics.

I've got loads of old 60s, 70s reels from mi dads but both machines vanished :(

That's true but it depends whether Tom wants to listen to the tapes at his leisure before he chooses which ones to archive (perhaps the lot).

If there are a lot, having them done professionally could be expensive.

To do a basic transfer to computer is quite easy, just an audio lead from the recorder to "mic/line in" on the laptop using Windows own Sound Recorder software.

Edited by carosio

Can anyone lend me one, so's I can transfer stuff to digital? Have just inherited tons of stuff from my dear old (dead) Uncle Leon....
Incase you do get stuck theres loads on ebay plus buy it now around £20 mark which might be worth getting if you have a lot of them . If only to convert the ones you have.Be a lot dam cheaper than getting them done pro.

Thanks for these responses, folks. I'm definitely looking at eBay.