Mobile Phone Thieves - Warning

Questioning what 1 in 4 meant was enough to get a post deleted!

......... and it appears that you were perfectly correct to question that claim as it was a poor attempt to sensationalise an issue.

By doing so, the police detract from the value of their, very important, message.

They would be well advised to keep to the facts.

I can't answer a roll of notes.

Are you implying that you are someone who does leave their phone in open view on a table?

If so, and I will open the question to everyone, why? Why do you feel the need to have your phone out on the table in a public space in full veiw?

Would you do the same with your car keys, your house keys, your wallet?

Apart from the obvious :) What would you say it is NOT appropriate to leave out in full view?

A man is in police custody having been arrested on suspicion of theft of a mobile phone from a male victim on Eldon Street, City Centre in the early hours of today.

For info the Students Union on Western Bank was targeted night before last - at least 5 phones stolen from people in there from bags etc.

On-going investigations into the male arrested and the crimes from the Students Union.

Thanks

Inspector Darren Starkey

Take some responsibility for your own property, put the device in your pocket. You are not important enough to have the damn thing out on the table or in your hands all day.

You do lock your house before leaving don't you? do you lock your car doors?

Are you implying that you are someone who does leave their phone in open view on a table?

In some circumstances yes.

And I already explained why.

If so, and I will open the question to everyone, why? Why do you feel the need to have your phone out on the table in a public space in full veiw?

Would you do the same with your car keys, your house keys, your wallet?

If it were convenient yes.

Apart from the obvious :) What would you say it is NOT appropriate to leave out in full view?

My underpants... At least the pair I'm wearing.

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 10:55 ----------

Take some responsibility for your own property, put the device in your pocket. You are not important enough to have the damn thing out on the table or in your hands all day.

You do lock your house before leaving don't you? do you lock your car doors?

I don't hide my house or my car in a pocket.

Putting something in plain view in front of me is not somehow abdicating responsibility for it. Nor is it because I feel that I'm important. :huh:

Hi

The stats are based upon the number of crimes recorded per 1000 people in certain places where we have had high numbers of mobile phone thefts e.g. 250 per 1000. That gives the risk of becoming a victim of this type of theft.

Main issue is I want to warn people to be on their guard against the thieves and to report anyone that may be involved etc as we have seen increases this last week compared to previous weeks.

Thanks

Inspector Darren Starkey

Thanks for the warning - can you update on here if you catch any of the thieves and let us know what penalty was handed out to them?

Over the weekend we have seen further thefts with phones being carelessly left on open view.

Officers visited 31 cafes yesterday and saw over 100 phones and other items on open display inviting thieves - officers advised people of the risk of having items stolen.

On Friday, an eagle eyed member of the public caught a thief in action in the city centre stealing a phone from a female. The phone was recovered and the offender quickly arrested by plain clothes officers from the team. A massive thanks go to the member of the public whose actions led to the arrest and recovery of the phone.

Thanks

Inspector Darren Starkey

Over the weekend we have seen further thefts with phones being carelessly left on open view.

Officers visited 31 cafes yesterday and saw over 100 phones and other items on open display inviting thieves - officers advised people of the risk of having items stolen.

On Friday, an eagle eyed member of the public caught a thief in action in the city centre stealing a phone from a female. The phone was recovered and the offender quickly arrested by plain clothes officers from the team. A massive thanks go to the member of the public whose actions led to the arrest and recovery of the phone.

Thanks

Inspector Darren Starkey

Great result lets hope they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law

Pete

All these nit picking comments makes me wonder if people have nothing better to do. Regardless of the statistics stated, this is a growing trend and as the Inspector says, even more so now that the students are back.

Why can't people just heed the warning and be grateful that the police are aware, making the public aware and are acting on this menace instead of trying to be clever and bickering with pathetic pointscoring, or is that too easy for all the keyboard warriors whose raison d'etre is to make snide comments, regardless of the post.

I bet they would be the ones who shout the loudest if this insidious thieving happened to them.

I for one am very grateful for the advice and will pass it on to family and friends.

Thank you.

There's nothing sadder than wanting to call a taxi and having no phone, or having lost a mate and having no way to contact them, or leaving one group to join another, except you can't because you don't know where they are now...
Nothing sadder!! Um let me think about that....cancer, divorce, dementia, your pet being run over, losing a child or the fact that many people cannot even afford a proper meal let alone an expensive phone.

The other thing to be aware of when in cafes and such like is your bag with phone/money etc in. If under/next to your chair unless against a wall it's easy pickings.

Edited by jezzyjj

Read back, I was repeating the turn of phrase already used by a previous poster who thought there was nothing sadder than someone having a mobile phone with them on a night out.

Here, I'll save you the effort.

There's nothing sadder than seeing a table full of people all staring at their bloody phones instead of interacting.