Sheffield Cycling Inquiry - Please contribute

You forgot to say that, some cycle lanes are rendered unusable because cars allowed to park on them.

One of my 3 "ways the council could improve things" was to no longer create cycle lanes and then allow cars to park in them.

Good idea by the council but what I find annoying is that the council invest money in these cycle lanes for cyclists not to use them. A very good example of this is a long where the airport was. Cyclists have a full path to themselves but there are a number if cyclists that insist daily cycling on the road, this is not only dangerous to the car driver and cyclist but makes it hard for genuine cyclist who us the correctly to get road conditions improved. I personally think a cyclist not using the lanes designed for the should get s £60 fine which could then be used to improve cycle lanes. Within a week you get enough funding to do a good few miles

How would you identify the cyclists in question?The option of cycle lanes remains a matter of choice and preference.Personally I prefer the open road as cycle lanes are strewn with glass,dozy walkers and general detritus.I would prefer there to be more roads where cars are excluded.

Crikey, how embarrassing for them, the document looks like it's been written by someone who failed GCSE English.

Cycling is a verb, I don't think that cycling can be broadened or increased.

What they actually want to ask is how the uptake of cycling can be increased, or how the amount of cycling can be increased.

Yip, keep taking them tablets :rolleyes:

Thanks for that useful contribution.

One of my 3 "ways the council could improve things" was to no longer create cycle lanes and then allow cars to park in them.

Mine too!:huh:

do we think that anything that the public express will really be taken into consideration?.. lets face it it that where so the don valley stadium would have been given a second chance with the community running it.

its all about showing the public the facade of the council seemingly considering the needs and wants of the Sheffield people, when in reality they do want ever costs the least and maybe gives them the back handers they think they deserve!.

I.E over the top consultation fees!!!. it makes my blood boil.... :rant::rant::rant:

do we think that anything that the public express will really be taken into consideration?.. lets face it it that where so the don valley stadium would have been given a second chance with the community running it.

its all about showing the public the facade of the council seemingly considering the needs and wants of the Sheffield people, when in reality they do want ever costs the least and maybe gives them the back handers they think they deserve!.

I.E over the top consultation fees!!!. it makes my blood boil.... :rant::rant::rant:

Of course that's way it seems, but you have to at least show your feelings otherwise they'll say, "We told you our plans, nobody complained, we thought this is what you wanted".

Missed it. Blast, plenty I'd have liked to say re: design of cycle paths.

I'm annoyed that I missed this as I certainly have things to rant about, not least the frightening cycle lane where Corporation Street, Derek Dooley and Chatham Street meet.

If you are heading out of town and are in the cycle lane on this corner you are at significant risk of getting cut up by a non indicating vehicle intent on going up Chatham Street that fires across your path without even considering mirrors.

It's a pity this discussion is just getting going after the last day for submissions to the enquiry! (Although I only found out about it by chance, so I don't know how widely advertised it's been.)

There's always the good old fashioned option of writing to your local MP/local councillor and stating your opinions I suppose!

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 20:59 ----------

Also, if you've got opinions on cycling in Sheffield, perhaps consider joining Cycle Sheffield?

A couple of people blogging about cycling issues in Sheffield are Gecko Cycling and Great Gas Beetle

(a great national organisation if the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain. They talk a lot of sense, and there's lots of interesting stuff on their website :))

I know 'monkey 69'. What works?

1. Council tax demo's.

2. The Green agenda - for a while, . . . . old hat now.

3. Ban the bomb - failed miserably till Gorbachov.

4. I think C.A.M.E.R.A. have done a good job for their cause.

5. The Countryside Alliance.

Shout loud as you can for as long as you can. Or Approach persistently the people who have influence (but shouting at them is not the best). Appealing to the masses is a very limited approach. (but not a total waste see 1. above)

OR Be politically correct - Aides campaign, --- oops that's Politically incorrect.

Get it on a political agenda.

But above all keep going.

ps. Cyclone - Please forgive any grammatical or speling mistakes. 48,000 posts and some (what %?) of them are constructive?

"Two wheels good. Four wheels bad."

Edited by Flanker7
after thought