Sheffield Cycling Inquiry - Please contribute

Don't be silly:loopy:, stop Trolling, the poster claimed to have insurance through their house insurance that covers them on the road away from home.

And you immediately invented a ridiculous strawman and asked for proof.

You've still failed to answer the basic question you were asked a page ago.

Do you believe the cyclist in question to be a fair representation of cyclists around the country?

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 07:31 ----------

To cycle is a verb, cycling is a noun or adjective:

n.

The act, sport, or technique of riding or racing on a bicycle, motorcycle, or similar vehicle.

adj.

Relating to or used in cycling.

That was settled about 200 posts ago.

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 16:44 ----------

The cyclist that did £600 worth of damage to my car by riding into the drivers door and destroying the central locking while he was on the wrong side of the road and I was turning into my drive did not stop to give me his household insurance details so I could not claim from him. And I had seen him - I just expected him to continue on the pavement in front of me and was waiting for him to emerge from behind the parked van that was obscuring my view - at that time I didn't think any cyclist would be stupid enough to decide to move from the pavement into the gutter on the wrong side of the road - now I know better.

He did that much damage, but didn't stop. Was he made of titantium?

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 07:32 ----------

You can't educate pork.

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 20:50 ----------

Not until you disagree with Cyclone then you're either racist or a Troll.

I'd be quite happy with you disagreeing.

But when you refuse to answer basic questions (not from me, from another poster) and instead respond with a post about tax, insurance and training in a cycling thread. Then you're quite clearly just trolling.

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 07:34 ----------

The real improvement would follow the introduction of test for cyclists,and banning the young from cycling unless wearing L plates and cycling with an adult.

It would also make it very difficult for children to learn to cycle (although you have allowed 'with an adult').

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 07:37 ----------

No, not if that excludes the free travel of the general public

It could be encouraged though. Don't schools still run cycling proficiency courses, I did mine when I was about 9 years old I think.

Maybe offer cyclists who have done a recognised course a reduction in the VED that they almost invariably pay for the car they leave at home on the days they cycle. A sort of negative VED for having a bike.

The Trans Pennine Trail which runs through the centre of Sheffield can be used as a commuter route and pleasure cycling route. There are a few places where the trails join roads and is generally safe for cyclists, walkers and horse riders.

The trail is maintained by ranger volunteers with a great deal of work done after the floods a few years ago and continues in parts now. The routes are well signed so have a look at http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/

I used to cycle alot as a teenager but car ownership seemed to explode from 1980's when the bus fares went up at the same rate as rubles. I remember being the lowest common denominator in 1990 when a bus overtook me then decided to drive me into the kerb with my father a few metres behind me. A complaint was raised but nothing happened.

I don't feel safe on the road no matter how bright my clothing is or the protection I am wearing, there is always going to be some idiot who will endanger others because they are better protected. I don't think any cycling inquiry can change that.

Submitted.

GREAT POST!!

Ive been wanting to find an initiative such as this and am happy it seems that something is being done.

Biggest issue is the shocking state of our roads.

Some areas are life threatening IMO (At night without adequate lighting) Hope something positive happens.

And you immediately invented a ridiculous strawman and asked for proof.

You've still failed to answer the basic question you were asked a page ago.

And he'll never answer any serious questions or respond to actual facts like road tax doesn't exist or that cars kill thousands of people every year and bikes do not.

But when you refuse to answer basic questions (not from me, from another poster) and instead respond with a post about tax, insurance and training in a cycling thread. Then you're quite clearly just trolling.

He's just an idiot who wants to attack someone and as being racist isn't acceptable anymore, cyclists replace the foreigners for the small minded folk like Peer Gynt to have a go at. It's the same stupid thinking where all cyclists/all immigrants/all muslims etc are neer do wells and should be criticised en masse as they are all terrorists/scroungers/thieves/menaces to society etc.

Best ignored.

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 20:00 ----------

Biggest issue is the shocking state of our roads.

Some areas are life threatening IMO (At night without adequate lighting) Hope something positive happens.

All of Sheffield roads are in the process of being repaired and all the lights are being upgraded to nice white LEDs. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 20:12 ----------

The cyclist that did £600 worth of damage to my car by riding into the drivers door and destroying the central locking while he was on the wrong side of the road and I was turning into my drive did not stop to give me his household insurance details so I could not claim from him. And I had seen him - I just expected him to continue on the pavement in front of me and was waiting for him to emerge from behind the parked van that was obscuring my view - at that time I didn't think any cyclist would be stupid enough to decide to move from the pavement into the gutter on the wrong side of the road - now I know better.
Maybe he got off the pavement as he saw you were turning onto drive to try and avoid you. Because cars don't often stop for cyclists or pedestrians in those circumstances.

Also worth bearing in mind that if he'd been driving do you think he would have definitely stopped? There's an awful lot of people who drive uninsured cars on the road. I'm also curious, did he just cycle off as the chances are the bike [and the cyclist] would have been quite damaged too? Cars are more substantial than bikes.

Their question on belief bugs me, being atheist is still a belief as is being agnostic which has been resigned to 'other'

The Trans Pennine Trail which runs through the centre of Sheffield can be used as a commuter route and pleasure cycling route. There are a few places where the trails join roads and is generally safe for cyclists, walkers and horse riders.

The trail is maintained by ranger volunteers with a great deal of work done after the floods a few years ago and continues in parts now. The routes are well signed so have a look at http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/

I've just had a look at the transpenninetrail site.

Not a road bike in sight probably because the surfaces are not suitable.

No decent maps. Its the links between sections that allow the route to flow, or not.

Sheffield appears to be at the end of a dead end.

This is why we need an Inquiry. Lets not avoid the links question. A recommended route should be made clear, with a clear map, without a break between A an B, even if this means advice to get off and walk.

Their question on belief bugs me, being atheist is still a belief as is being agnostic which has been resigned to 'other'

Now, where did I put that bag of popcorn?

All of Sheffield roads are in the process of being repaired and all the lights are being upgraded to nice white LEDs. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 20:12 ----------

The new white LED lights are IMO worse than what they're replacing - if you're directly underneath then fine, but certainly no improvement on what was there (except they must be cheap as chips to replace, I would hope!)... we've had them here nearly a year now, and in the evening it's almost pitch black, unless you're very close to the light itself. The previous lights seemed to light a wider area - not sure if it was the orange light, or just that the lights were much lower than the new ones? Perhaps it depends what the lights were like previously in your area, as to whether they're an improvement or not...

The roads (once completed) are obviously a significant improvement - yes, they took an age to be replaced, and it was extremely inconvenient while it was happening - but it's worth it afterwards, to reduce the number of potholes.

I thought this was a cycling thread? Why are you here spouting ill-informed, ignorant nonsense which has been done to death a gagillion times on every god thread ever?

jb

I'm really happy that this has sparked a big debate.

The closing date for submissions to the inquiry is tomorrow. If you have time then please tell the council what you think about cycling in Sheffield here: http://surveys.lasos.org.uk/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=8lM25p8

I'm very aware that not many people in Sheffield cycle regularly, it's very important that you respond and tell the council why you don't cycle. You're the people that we need to target, the majority.

If you have any ideas about how to improve things which mean you'd be more likely to travel by bike then please tell them.

This thread has got me back on my bike. First time since a fall about a month ago. It has reminded me what a great way to get around it is. Steaming down into Hathasage , setting off the speed warning display , and grinding back up from Grindleford to Fox House. If I could be sure of a safe place to leave my bike in town my journeys would increase.

Come on SCC provide a 100% safe, secure parking depot in the City Centre. There's a massive expanse of pavement outside the Town Hall.

This thread has got me back on my bike. First time since a fall about a month ago. It has reminded me what a great way to get around it is. Steaming down into Hathasage , setting off the speed warning display , and grinding back up from Grindleford to Fox House. If I could be sure of a safe place to leave my bike in town my journeys would increase.

Come on SCC provide a 100% safe, secure parking depot in the City Centre. There's a massive expanse of pavement outside the Town Hall.

Good idea - and they could charge a quid an hour to park there, to help increase the council's revenue :)