Royal Mail privatisation - good or bad?

Privatising the Royal Mail is ...  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Privatising the Royal Mail is ...

• A good thing
    • A bad thing
    • Neutral/no opinion

It seems like a good deal if they put the 3bn into the ecomomy.

But not all is what it seems. In 2008 Taxpayers had already paid 7bn to plug the hole in their pension deficit. Thats why companies will be falling over themselves to get such a good deal. They dont mention that bit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1094785/Taxpayers-Royal-Mail-7bn-pension-bailout-fears-privatisation-increase.html

Its gonna get sold anyway so not use worrying about it.

This has been the quickest sale of any state owned industry. It's being sold so the Government can quickly use the money to cover its gaping hole in Osborne's failed financial polices.

lol, no wonder Labour were so dead set against it, despite trying to flog it for years.

They wanted that money to plug the gaping holes in their own financial policies.

Look on the bright side. I reckon nobody will get any bills anymore or anything else for that matter.

Bad obviously.

Postal rates will rise to increase profits,and lean working practices will lay off posties,so further delays to your post arriving on time.

Id expect them to hit at the online sales market,but competition is very hot in there with RM losing out to courier firms already.

The dutch privatised thier Mail serices a few years back with disasterous results,so much so that its now owned publicly again.

Another tory sell off,like gas and electricity thats been hitting us all for decades,in the pocket while the bosses pocket the profits.

Price increases

Longer service -fewer staff

Poorer service all round

Price increases

Longer service -fewer staff

Poorer service all round

So privatisation will make absolutely no discernible change then ??

Read John Prescott's column this morning, he said the Kuwaiti Royal Family reportedly has a £50 million stake in the Royal mail.

Why would that be. The mail will have to compete against other proviers who already undercut Royal Mail's prices. Why should I have to subsidise those using Royal Mail when I send my packages and mail through other cheaper providers?

Most other providers use the royal mail for the last stage of delivery

---------- Post added 13-10-2013 at 12:15 ----------

Bad obviously.

Postal rates will rise to increase profits,and lean working practices will lay off posties,so further delays to your post arriving on time.

Id expect them to hit at the online sales market,but competition is very hot in there with RM losing out to courier firms already.

The dutch privatised thier Mail serices a few years back with disasterous results,so much so that its now owned publicly again.

Another tory sell off,like gas and electricity thats been hitting us all for decades,in the pocket while the bosses pocket the profits.

The prices will increase but this is what most of the Public wanted so now they have it and if you think that ther will still be a six day week delivery THERE WILL NOT BE and these so called shares they said the postmen have THEY DON`T its all BS like last time they gave them shares that they never got

this is what most of the Public wanted

Ah, but it isn't. According to the YouGov poll in the original post, 67% of the public were against the privatisation as of July this year, including, perhaps surprisingly, 76% of UKIP supporters. Even 48% of Tory voters were against it, compared to just 40% in favour.

We've been had, basically.

That's not really the point though is it. It's like saying you don't use your dustbin. As a state owned industry tax payers pick up the cost of providing the service and paying the pensions of those on their nice final salary schemes. If it is privatised it will have to compete in the real world and we won't get stuck with the bills.

Postmen no longer have a final salary pension scheme, and haven't done since 2008.

---------- Post added 13-10-2013 at 21:47 ----------

I thought the black hole in the pension funds of most publicly funded bodies was well known about. It is just part of the massive losses that the Royal Mail has made over the years. You cannot differentiate between money that tax payers have to pour in to prop up the pension scheme, the money that we've had to pour in to subsidise the losses or the money that we've had to tip in to pay for the mass of redundancies to try to bring the business into shape to face modern competition in the market.

I don't see the point of paying to prop up a state run mail service if we all communicate by emails, I phones and send parcels using DHL.

Yes the government took on RM's pension deficit, which was caused by the financial market meltdown. And who's fault was that....

It's also worth pointing out that the government has taken several billion pounds from RM profits over the years, and for a number of years paid nothing into the pension fund as it was running at a surplus.

RM hasn't made constant massive losses as you seem to think, it's had periods of loss making yes but has regularly made a profit and hence cost the taxpayer nowhere near as much as you seem to think.

RM employees also pay millions upon millions every week in tax, so if RM didn't exist the taxpayer as a whole would actually be a lot worse off.

Why would that be. The mail will have to compete against other proviers who already undercut Royal Mail's prices. Why should I have to subsidise those using Royal Mail when I send my packages and mail through other cheaper providers?

It is like paying taxes to fund education even though you have no children-it is part of the social contract,the need to maintain a cohesive society.

I cant think of o single service or product that doesn't work better and more efficiently in the private sector than in the public sector. Why are so many narrow minded people on here against the privatisation?