Business networking

Excuse my ignorance, but how do these things work? Do you go these events prepared to listen to people and/or pick up contacts that may or may not be useful or do you go hoping you can corner someone long enough to sell them something? I'm guessing its more subtle than that but does it work?

Excuse my ignorance, but how do these things work? Do you go these events prepared to listen to people and/or pick up contacts that may or may not be useful or do you go hoping you can corner someone long enough to sell them something? I'm guessing its more subtle than that but does it work?

The websites for each seem to explain the different formats fairly well. All are a variation on a basic theme. The idea is to build relationships, understand others' businesses and help each other with referrals rather than a sales pitch

I joined 4N a few weeks ago and that's very good. We meet for lunch or breakfast every two weeks. After the meet and greet, we all have a 40 second "pitch" to introduce ourselves and after lunch you have 3 x 1:1's with other business owners to swap ideas/see how you can help each other. There is a subscription fee so time will tell if it's better than the pay as you go type clubs

I'm going to try The Network on the 17th (http://thenetworksheffield.co.uk/events/sheffield/) and, following the suggestions in this thread, The Firm looks very good and I've booked a breakfast meeting.

If you fancy coming along I can take you to 4N and introduce you to try it out. Or you can book the others via their websites. PM me if you are interested

Social media is a good place to start, get a Facebook page, Twitter, and linkedin are a great starting point to get your message across.

It depends if your target market attends the events or usues the social media you are trying to take advantage of.

I keep asking my customers what they use to find out which is the most effective for us to use. At the moment most of my target market (business to business) will just 'Google' if looking for something.

Try The Firm. £10 per meeting at a different location in Sheffield every second Friday. There is a meeting this Friday at The Forum in Sheffield City Centre. With this one there is no membership fee. You just pay as you go to each meeting.

They have a Wed evening team which satisfies every week at 6 pm at the Elegant Victoria resort. They also have a Friday morning hours morning meal team which satisfies at the same place

I have never done networking before. Does it generate prospective clients? thanks.

I have never done networking before. Does it generate prospective clients? thanks.

Well, thanks in part to the advice on this thread I have tried/will be trying the following. Obviously anyone else's success will partly depend on their business type and personality

4N. Very friendly and I have got business from it already with more to come I think. It's middle of the road in terms of formality but there is a structure that creates referrals. There's a subscription and charge per meeting so it's not cheap

The Firm. You just pay on the day for your meal. It's less structured and I suspect it will take longer to get business but again everyone is very friendly

BNI. Visiting as a guest very shortly so will update after. This is the most structured and pressured environment as you are expected to bring referrals each week which doesn't suit everyone. However, it works for you as well as the other members will bring you business.

If you want introducing to any of the above, please let me know and I'll PM you some details