Main Rd through Crookes Closed 27 Sept 2013

The Star's report says that the accident happened on Marston Road, so I hardly think it very likely that speed was a major factor here.

We don't know the full facts, but I often turn down Marston Road from the main road, and it's amazing how often pedestrians just wander across the road without looking to check if there's a car coming or not.

Marston Roas is a horrible road to cross as a pedestrian. You've got four roads to check (Crookes each way, Stannington, Marston), you've got a bus stop, so traffic is signalling right to overtake and you can't be sure if they're signalling right to go down Marston, the view down Marston is usually at least partially blocked by parked vehicles (often large vans), and there are also parked vehicles blocking the view down Crookes in both directions.

By the time you've ascertain whether it's safe to cross, you still have the worry that a speeding motorist (common on Crookes) could come along and change the parameters, and basically just hope for the best.

Edited by chill
Said Mulehouse instead of Stannington

A problem with Crookes is there are red sections across road that people seem to think are pedestrian crossings when they are not

Yes, these are very confusing.

I remember someone in authority (from the council I presume, but I can't remember for certain, as it was a long time ago) saying that pedestrians should not regard them as crossings. The problem as I see it is that there are plenty of people who do not know this, and see the design of the road as inviting them to cross.

As regards the road, higher up. I don't use it a lot, now, but when I do I'm conscious of a lot happening. Plenty of cars and vans, driving through, parking and pulling out, pedestrians, buses etc. There is a lot to concentrate on. If anything goes wrong, regardless of who is to blame, it is likely that it will be a pedestrian that suffers.

IMO, a 20 limit would be a good idea, but I can't see it happening. As has been said above, they don't do it to "main" roads.

(As an aside, I think Rustlings Road should be a 20 limit - lots of parked cars, people crossing, difficult sight lines etc. The road humps pretty much force around 20).

...... and it's amazing how often pedestrians just wander across the road without looking to check if there's a car coming or not.

... and it's amazing how often vehicle drivers forget that pedestrians have the right of way when the have began to wander across the this junction.

is it still closed ?

Crookes Road - No it isn't closed anymore.

Glossop Road - It was still closed about an hour ago due to a police incident outside the Harley Hotel.

But remember Sheffield is a safe city!

Marston Roas is a horrible road to cross as a pedestrian. You've got four roads to check (Crookes each way, Stannington, Marston), you've got a bus stop, so traffic is signalling right to overtake and you can't be sure if they're signalling right to go down Marston, the view down Marston is usually at least partially blocked by parked vehicles (often large vans), and there are also parked vehicles blocking the view down Crookes in both directions.

By the time you've ascertain whether it's safe to cross, you still have the worry that a speeding motorist (common on Crookes) could come along and change the parameters, and basically just hope for the best.

Agreed - maybe that's why a lot of people just don't bother even looking at all and just blindly wander into the road anyway!

... and it's amazing how often vehicle drivers forget that pedestrians have the right of way when the have began to wander across the this junction.

Yes, but if you're already in the process of turning into the side street and some OAP/student/random person then decides to stroll out in front of you without looking, who's being the bigger danger?

From that map it appears that Crookes is not included. The consultation omitted main roads, so it looks like the 20mph area will start as you turn off Crookes onto a side road.

That seems like a much better use of a 20 mph zone.

Just regarding the 20 mph limits not being used on main roads, does that not apply to Wisewood Lane/Hallowmoor Rd then, as the volume of traffic at certain times must make it a main road, yet it has 20 mph speed limit and speed humps?

Just regarding the 20 mph limits not being used on main roads, does that not apply to Wisewood Lane/Hallowmoor Rd then, as the volume of traffic at certain times must make it a main road, yet it has 20 mph speed limit and speed humps?

Unless I'm mistaken, that's not one of the areas in the recent consultation linked to by WalkleyIan

Regarding the new 20 mph zone at Upperthorpe, if you get chance have a look where the new signs have been installed at the Junction of Howard Rd and Upperthorpe. One of them has been placed on the pavement under the weeping willow tree outside David J Martin's premises. However no one has thought to trim the branches of the tree (which is overgrown) so the sign isn't visable at all.

This street view link shows the area I mean but was taken before the tree was so overgrown.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Crookes,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.387809,-1.497365&spn=0.000003,0.002258&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=6.505674,18.500977&oq=CROOKES&t=h&hnear=Crookes,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.38781,-1.497874&panoid=DZ9DeiqgKxjFuPRdRojg2g&cbp=12,86.15,,0,1.18

Update:

The weeping willow tree has now had a haircut!