Main Rd through Crookes Closed 27 Sept 2013

Main Rd through Crookes closed at the moment by the Police, between Springvale Rd, and, I think, Mulehouse Rd

At about 9am I saw an ambulance dealing with someone on the floor, on the road at the side of the Admiral chip shop. Hope they're ok.

Accident waiting to happen, I'm surprised there have not been more. The lunatic way that people now drive on Crookes - crossing over the wrong side of the road, darting about to find somewhere to park.

I agree Elmambo, I think it's about time the wave of 20 mph zones hit Crookes, as the lunatics are out every day am and pm, oh, and reduce the price of alarm clocks as obviously most of them can't afford one

I agree Elmambo, I think it's about time the wave of 20 mph zones hit Crookes, as the lunatics are out every day am and pm, oh, and reduce the price of alarm clocks as obviously most of them can't afford one

the Steel bank side of Crookes all the way down to Heavygate Rd is about to become a 20mph area.

the Steel bank side of Crookes all the way down to Heavygate Rd is about to become a 20mph area.

Really? That doesn't seem like an appropriate use of a 20mph zone.

A problem with Crookes is there are red sections across road that people seem to think are pedestrian crossings when they are not

Really? That doesn't seem like an appropriate use of a 20mph zone.

It was not the most efficient process in the world. Instead of a city wide view each of the former community assembly areas were allocated just enough money to fund 1 new 20mph pilot area with certain provisos (no main route / had to contain a school etc)

In the south west assembly area they picked Steel Bank as it contained Westways. In the central area there were 2 proposals around the Walkley schools but they picked Upperthorpe as it joined an existing 20mph zone. The Upperthorpe area has just been installed.

The full list of new zones are on here with plans, although the Crookes / Steel Bank one has now been extended to the end of Northumberland Rd.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/new-20-mph-speed-limits.html

From that map it appears that Crookes is not included. The consultation omitted main roads, so it looks like the 20mph area will start as you turn off Crookes onto a side road.

The Star's report says that the accident happened on Marston Road, so I hardly think it very likely that speed was a major factor here.

It was not the most efficient process in the world. Instead of a city wide view each of the former community assembly areas were allocated just enough money to fund 1 new 20mph pilot area with certain provisos (no main route / had to contain a school etc)

In the south west assembly area they picked Steel Bank as it contained Westways. In the central area there were 2 proposals around the Walkley schools but they picked Upperthorpe as it joined an existing 20mph zone. The Upperthorpe area has just been installed.

The full list of new zones are on here with plans, although the Crookes / Steel Bank one has now been extended to the end of Northumberland Rd.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/new-20-mph-speed-limits.html

Regarding the new 20 mph zone at Upperthorpe, if you get chance have a look where the new signs have been installed at the Junction of Howard Rd and Upperthorpe. One of them has been placed on the pavement under the weeping willow tree outside David J Martin's premises. However no one has thought to trim the branches of the tree (which is overgrown) so the sign isn't visable at all.

This street view link shows the area I mean but was taken before the tree was so overgrown.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Crookes,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.387809,-1.497365&spn=0.000003,0.002258&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=6.505674,18.500977&oq=CROOKES&t=h&hnear=Crookes,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.38781,-1.497874&panoid=DZ9DeiqgKxjFuPRdRojg2g&cbp=12,86.15,,0,1.18