Best Fibre Optic Broadband Provider..

It all goes down to the service you get, and people tend hear more of a company when they provide bad service, compared to when they provide good service.

While I agree the pro Origin posts far outweigh the anti Origin posts and most of them against them are/have never been customers

The only one I can think about is bedrock but he doesn't count I'm not even sure he is/was a customer all he wants to do is moan about something

If I remember right didn't you have a problem which caused you to go back to BT but you are not sticking the knife in every thread all the time

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 21:30 ----------

Nail on head.

Its DR that are ceasing not Origin. The network and infrastructure is still in operation and Origin have sent me the Direct Debit forms and contract for signing up just recently.

Forgot to add - fact! ;)

A friend was up and running today and another has inquired about joining when he comes back home from Surrey in about a month or so

Willps.

i am on origin and have broadband from them in Walkley.

i trust my provider. way more than i trust someone on a forum with what appears to be an agenda.

i want to know what proof you have that my BB will end.

I think the Origin fan bois are missing the point on this thread, which is what willPS is trying to get though, DRL is closing which is the only means Origin deliver their broadband (at the moment) so until Origin finally announce how they are going to provide their customers with broadband, these threads are getting pretty tiresome.

Cue Paul :roll:

my belief is this

no one is going to let a 95million quid network lie in the ground and rot.

thats a network that someone else can buy for a song and take over. with none of the costs of digging up the roads.

does anyone really think BT will run fibre to their own cabinets. if theres already fibre to a cab 2 metres away.

nope they (or someone else will take over the network, save a fortune, make a fortune. and for those of us on origin, very little will change

my belief is this

no one is going to let a 95million quid network lie in the ground and rot.

thats a network that someone else can buy for a song and take over. with none of the costs of digging up the roads.

does anyone really think BT will run fibre to their own cabinets. if theres already fibre to a cab 2 metres away.

nope they (or someone else will take over the network, save a fortune, make a fortune. and for those of us on origin, very little will change

Exactly what I think

Mod Note

Posts accusing companies of lying have been removed along with all reference to them, if you want to accuse companies of lying please do so elsewhere.

Was with sky for 3 years but service(along with customer service) has been gradually getting worse,they only seem to be interested in new customers.Started with 4.5mb/s,ended up with 3.2mb/s.

Now with Plusnet for the last month and very happy so far,promised 29mb/s and getting

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3014861720

Nice friendly advisors (that speak the kind of English i can understand-no disrespect to anyone!)

i just gone with talk talk as sky fobbed me off x3 times

never rang back as promised internet up and down

reported it on 18/9/13 and still not sorted

swop to fibre on 15/10/13 hooray but as you feel penalized for having a poor service .

£12.50 per month up to 38mb fibre optic

Totally unlimited downloads

FREE advanced technology wireless router

Award-winning Homesafeâ„¢ online security

Hi Barts, just a little tip with Talktalk: if you have any problems, talk to them via Twitter at @TalkTalkCare and they'll email you. Don't even bother with the call centre. The email communication is really positive, when we lost the phone for a month due to a severed cable, the Indian call centre droned on about company policy, charges, whether it was our fault or theirs etc because that is all they have been trained to do, the email response was to look into it and culminated in a free month. Cheers.

Hi Barts, just a little tip with Talktalk: if you have any problems, talk to them via Twitter at @TalkTalkCare and they'll email you. Don't even bother with the call centre. The email communication is really positive, when we lost the phone for a month due to a severed cable, the Indian call centre droned on about company policy, charges, whether it was our fault or theirs etc because that is all they have been trained to do, the email response was to look into it and culminated in a free month. Cheers.

This is the same for quite a few companies, it's better to email them or use twitter/facebook.

TBH if you had lost phone for a month and only got a free month out of it, you never actually got any compensation for your troubles. You should have gone for a least 6 months minimum free rental :hihi::hihi: I know I would have.

I've been with Sky on their new Fibre package since May 2013 and the speeds I'm getting are around 40-45Mb Download and 19Mb upload. I'm around 30 metres from the local BT exchange so should in essence be getting around 50-60Mb at least, however, when questioning this with the SKY Fibre team, they are saying that only a direct connection will get speeds of 70-80Mb, direct connection meaning through a "direct wired" connection via ethernet cable from my router to my macbook, I think that's a bit of a con cos who's going to actually directly connect their laptop to via an ethernet cable to get these speeds? the whole point of having a laptop in the first place is to be portable, so you don't really want to be sat 1 metre away from your router via an ethernet cable connection. I think they should clearly advertise this and not leave it in their small print. The 45 download speeds are okay, but sometimes I even see it go down to 35Mb on busy periods. I've tried switching the network ports by logging into the SKY Hub control panel, and none are giving me the speeds of 60Mb on a wireless route. Plus, there are areas of my house that have a poor speed and i'm considering getting some wireless signal booster repeaters to plug into the walls. In any case, This is my input, don't know about the rest of the companies, have used Virgin once or twice as my mate has it and it's around the same also. BT Infinity is supposed to be the fastest, but I think that's based on a direct connection also :) I think choosing your provider for broadband also comes down to the service they provide, we went with SKY only because at the time we got a fantastic deal for TV, Internet and Telephone, but now it's not that appealing. I may consider going for EE Home Broadband as they seem to provide an award winning router and are said to have better speeds.

A lot of people do still use a PC with a wired connection though - They will get their full speed. If you choose to connect via WiFi, whether it be on a laptop, a phone, iPad, whatever, you should expect to lose a bit of speed!

You are also forgetting that the idea of having fibre is not necessarily so one person can max out the connection, but so that several people can do whatever they want without noticeably slowing each other down.

Granted, everyone on the same WiFi channel WILL slow each other down (even your neighbours will slow your WiFi connection) but that is YOUR problem not your ISPs. Its up to you to sort it out.

I have everything possible plugged in using wired ethernet (even the laptop if I need to do a big download), upgraded all wireless devices to 5Ghz where possible (the laptop and phone), only using 2.4Ghz WiFi where there is no other choice.

You have to remember, the latest WiFi routers capable of doing wireless at fibre broadband speeds are over £100. Do you really expect your ISP to provide one for free when only a minority of people could even use it as their devices won't support those faster speeds anyway?

I have narrowed my search down to 2 companies, following promotions from switching sites and speaking to them directly. Plusnet will offer upto 76mps, but I'm concerned that they are going to feed this to me via a badly reviewed techniclour wireless router. My other option is virgin, who seem to do favorably on reliability and speed, but then i think I'm correct in thinking they remove/disable my BT line which I have to pay £100+ to have reconnected if I ever wish to switch again. Does anyone have experience of either of these issues? Thanks.