British Heart foundation

Has anyone else had trouble with B.H.F. being very picky when you want to give them something to sell in their charity shops? We had some furniture refused because "they have so much in their warehouse we not taking anymore". If thats correct then why are they not selling it on to the needy, there must be lots of people who would appreciate it. I for one will not be using or donating to this charity anymore.

Yep.I got the same when my mum died last yr and I asked them if they wanted some furniture.All I got was.Well we don't take brown/wood furniture as it dosent sell.Plus (that? ) isn't fire retardant ect.In a nutshell they just picked and choosed what they wanted....

Yes, maybe try some of the Charity Shops at Hillsborough, they may take it.

Yep.I got the same when my mum died last yr and I asked them if they wanted some furniture.All I got was.Well we don't take brown/wood furniture as it dosent sell.Plus (that? ) isn't fire retardant ect.In a nutshell they just picked and choosed what they wanted....

Plus.Recently my sister trailed some bric o brac from handsworth to st lukes and was told...Sorry...We are only taking BOOKS! Due to elf and safety???:loopy:

You can't expect them to take things that they can't sell though, can you? It's a charity, they can't keep filling their bins with people's cast-offs or expecting their volunteers to take stuff to the tip.

Try selling it yourself first, and if you can't sell it, how do you expect them to be able to.

Unfortunately there's no point in them taking things that won't sell. They are trying to raise revenue after all.

You can't expect them to take things that they can't sell though, can you? It's a charity, they can't keep filling their bins with people's cast-offs or expecting their volunteers to take stuff to the tip.

Try selling it yourself first, and if you can't sell it, how do you expect them to be able to.

^^ This.

I've found Freecycle a useful way of getting rid of things that are not good enough to sell.

They agreed to take it thought thats the thing, even when the men turned up they said it was good and would easily sell but they had been told not to take wall units, so i said i wasnt going to split the set. Will see if Stroke Association take it when they come tomorrow.

^^ This.

I've found Freecycle a useful way of getting rid of things that are not good enough to sell.

There's also the give away section here on the forum.

St Vincent De Paul Society take pretty much everything. But, to be absolutely sure, ALWAYS call the charity you are wanting to donate to first & be HONEST when you describe what you want to donate. It costs Charities a fortune to dispose of items that are not fit to sell/dont sell. Many people just use Charities as a dumping ground to get rid of the crap they cannot be bothered to take to the tip themselves. I have personally been out to collect 'quality' donations that in reality couldn't even be given away! Absolute ****e in some cases, literally asked to take a used commode in one visit!!!!

I did ring them first and described the furniture and the girl said they would take it, it was the men who came to take it that told me that 2 weeks earlier they had been told not to pick up anymore wall units. Perhaps they should let the girls on the phone know what they are telling the van drivers. The Stroke Association are now having it, but St. Vincents was next on the list.

This all reflects their success and large footfall in their shops.

When you are doing well you can afford to be picky and if their warehouse is full, where are they supposed to put large items?

The smaller and less successful the charity, the more they will take off your hands.