Old shops in the Wicker

I know it is not a shop as such or on the wicker but can you remember the blacksmiths behind Barclays bank which was opposite Goffins the furniture shop near the station steps.

I know it is not a shop as such or on the wicker but can you remember the blacksmiths behind Barclays bank which was opposite Goffins the furniture shop near the station steps.

The blacksmiths shop was on the corner of Wicker Lane and the lane that runs between the Station Hotel property and the building that used to house the old Midland Bank.

It was part of the Nixon Veterinary practice and their was plenty of business with the LMS stable just up Spital Hill and the LNER stables over on Spitalfields. It closed in the late 1940s when British Railways was created and their transport system mechanized. The blacksmith then moved over to Snow & Co but they already had a blacksmith so he became a labourer.

All a long time ago.

Regards

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 18:51 ----------

i remember the newsagent on the corner of stanley st (i think) he was a rotund bloke that owned it but his daughter who worked in the shop had massive boobies,i used to go regularly :hihi:

Before it was a newsagents (and heaven knows what else), it was the office for Pickford's Removal and Storage business. Back in history (c1900) Pickford's yard and business used to be on the corner of Stanley Street and Johnson Street, presumably before they moved to Brightside Lane.

Regards

The blacksmiths shop was on the corner of Wicker Lane and the lane that runs between the Station Hotel property and the building that used to house the old Midland Bank.

It was part of the Nixon Veterinary practice and their was plenty of business with the LMS stable just up Spital Hill and the LNER stables over on Spitalfields. It closed in the late 1940s when British Railways was created and their transport system mechanized. The blacksmith then moved over to Snow & Co but they already had a blacksmith so he became a labourer.

All a long time ago.

Regards

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 18:51 ----------

Before it was a newsagents (and heaven knows what else), it was the office for Pickford's Removal and Storage business. Back in history (c1900) Pickford's yard and business used to be on the corner of Stanley Street and Johnson Street, presumably before they moved to Brightside Lane.

Regards

hiya my dad used to tell of taking me to have my first haircut around 1940 he took me to scotts,(s.p) in the chair was an old gentleman, there were another sat and us two, my dad said " bet this is a first, four generations of one family all with the same name" there was me, my dad, my granddad, my great g/dad.

hiya my dad used to tell of taking me to have my first haircut around 1940 he took me to scotts,(s.p) in the chair was an old gentleman, there were another sat and us two, my dad said " bet this is a first, four generations of one family all with the same name" there was me, my dad, my granddad, my great g/dad.

Talking of barbers can you remember Constantines just round the corner on Nursery St..That then became Scotts.

Yes the army stores was next to the Big Gun but it was Mortimer's Famous Army Stores.

ah ! thats the one,i knew it began with M :roll:

Has anyone any information on old shops in the Wicker, in particular Castledine & Fellows a tripe shop. I have done a search but can't find anything, also looked on Sheffield History.

My father was born above the tripe shop in the Wicker which was run and owned by his maternal grandmother. Her surname when married was Castledine and I believe that she had relatives with the surname of Fellowes possibly her brother ? he was called Fred. My father was born in 1922 and the tripe shop was definitely still a going concern then.

my grandad mr eric ward was a driver at brigehouses he lived at 44 rock street

I remember the 3 wheeled scammels well this would be about 1953/54........

...I remember the 3 wheeled scammels well this would be about 1953/54........
Yes, the 3-wheel Scammell Scarab was the workhorse of British Railways' parcel deliveries. They looked like this and were often to be seen in and around the Wicker..:)

The Pet Shop belonged to John Hutchinson.My Uncle Harry Moore who bred budgies at his home on Petre St knew John, who persuaded Harry to give up his job as a British Rail goods Scammel lorry driver at Bridgehouses to go & work for him in 1959. He worked in the shop & delivered pets. The shop closed about 1980 & Harry lost his job & had to find another one delivering stainless kitchen units. He would almost certainly have been better off financially staying with BR!

After reading your Quote,It had me thinking this Pet shop,was it situated next to the lift up to Victoria stn.I was a driver at Bridgehouses Stn and remember a driver going to work there I cant remember his name but I remember is face a tall lean guy

I had walk down the Wicker a couple of weeks ago and I'm appalled at what I saw, nothing but foreign cafés, fast food shops. Still a couple of old shops including Scott's and Sismans holding on.

Here is a scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory that might bring back a few memories!.:)

Thanks for that Hillsbro, I remember most of those shops. I worked at William Timpson shoe repairs as as relief manager in the 60's.

Brown Cow and Bull and Oak,2 pubs next to each other,where would you see that nowdays,remember the Meadow and Industry at Darnal too.