Old shops in the Wicker

On 12/05/2021 at 13:39, Jim Hardie said:

Bennetts were on Stanley Street but also in the Wicker in the old premises of the New White Lion.

Wasn't there a fishing tackle place that was in the small row of shops on Lady's Bridge and where was Calcott's fishing tackle ?

21 hours ago, jane2008 said:

Does anyone know of the cafe Madrid in the Wicker.  I've never known where it was but I believe it was around '77 to '80 that it was there,  Asking for someone who remembers it. 

Not sure about Cafe Madrid but in the late 1960s there was a cafe run by a Spanish man in the Wicker called Garcia's. It was between Studio 7 and the arches.

56 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Not sure about Cafe Madrid but in the late 1960s there was a cafe run by a Spanish man in the Wicker called Garcia's. It was between Studio 7 and the arches.

Probably the same place St Petre.  Too much of a coincidence but the place was cafe Madrid late '70's.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Wasn't there a fishing tackle place that was in the small row of shops on Lady's Bridge and where was Calcott's fishing tackle ?

2 Lady’s Bridge. You have a good memory, I don’t remember it.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s41919&pos=2&action=zoom&id=122500

They expanded into the Wicker later. Between Sisman’s and Scott’s.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a00259&pos=3&action=zoom&id=222

Edited by Jim Hardie

In the late 70's my dad used to take us to a shop that was ran by a really old fella called Jim. It sold leather goods and he did leather alterations and stuff like that. I was only 10 or something and this Jim fella was my dads uncle, i.e my grandads brother. He used to wear one of those really old leather aprons. It was a really olde worlde shop about halfway down the Wicker on the left hand side going away from town.

2 hours ago, olilew said:

In the late 70's my dad used to take us to a shop that was ran by a really old fella called Jim. It sold leather goods and he did leather alterations and stuff like that. I was only 10 or something and this Jim fella was my dads uncle, i.e my grandads brother. He used to wear one of those really old leather aprons. It was a really olde worlde shop about halfway down the Wicker on the left hand side going away from town.

The only shop to my memory of your description was on the corner of Ladys bridge and Nursery Street. We got our clogs from him and he was dressed as you described.

Hi Kidorry - I also remember the little shop on the corner of Lady's Bridge and Nursery Street. Going into the shop was like stepping back in time. In 1975 I worked at the Market Place branch of the Midland Bank (now the Bankers Draft).  The manager wanted his leather key case repaired, so I took it there. The old gent did it while I waited and charged me 40p!

jANE 2008,yes there was a Cafe Madrid in the Wicker.It was situated on the right going away from the city centre,and was stood atween the arches and the Studio 7 picture palace.The proprietor of the Cafe Madrid was Angelo Garcia,a Spanish Spaniard.Angelo had fought in the Spanish civil war against Franco's fascists.He joined the British Merchant Navy during World War two, and was based in Liverpool.He later came to Sheffield and opened up the Cafe Madrid.Bed & Breakfast was available at the cafe,usually for long distance lorry drivers.The building had in the region of 15 to 20 rooms.I may re-visit this thread with further info.

1 hour ago, zakes said:

jANE 2008,yes there was a Cafe Madrid in the Wicker.It was situated on the right going away from the city centre,and was stood atween the arches and the Studio 7 picture palace.The proprietor of the Cafe Madrid was Angelo Garcia,a Spanish Spaniard.Angelo had fought in the Spanish civil war against Franco's fascists.He joined the British Merchant Navy during World War two, and was based in Liverpool.He later came to Sheffield and opened up the Cafe Madrid.Bed & Breakfast was available at the cafe,usually for long distance lorry drivers.The building had in the region of 15 to 20 rooms.I may re-visit this thread with further info.

Thank you so much for that Zakes.  I have been told it was a bed and breakfast.  St Petre must have known it before a name change.  Thank you to you both