Old shops in the Wicker

After reading your Quote,It had me thinking this Pet shop,was it situated next to the lift up to Victoria stn.I was a driver at Bridgehouses Stn and remember a driver going to work there I cant remember his name but I remember is face a tall lean guy

I may be wrong but I think Hutchinson's Pet Ship was on the right hand side of the Wicker as you go towards town about 2/3 of the way towards Blonk St

remember freidrich,army stores,scotts,and a furniture store,also woodcock travel.

i remember friedricks pork sausages fab

I may be wrong but I think Hutchinson's Pet Shop was on the right hand side of the Wicker as you go towards town about 2/3 of the way towards Blonk St
Yes, this is where the 1965 Kelly's Directory places it, next to the Peacock restaurant on the corner of Stanley Street - see here in the left-hand column. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo - click on "Zoom image" to enlarge.

Yes, the 3-wheel Scammell Scarab was the workhorse of British Railways' parcel deliveries. They looked like this and were often to be seen in and around the Wicker..:)

I drove the old Scammell call the Mechanical Horse the engine was inside the cab,you had to swing it to start the engine the choke was a piece of wire under the starting handle which you pulled and held while turning a nightmare on a cold frosty morning,the Scarab was the updated version and a lot better I drove one new still think it was the best delivery vehicle of all time with that one wheel up front nothing on the road had a turning circle like that the old one was the same great for shed work with the trailers

I drove the old Scammell call the Mechanical Horse...
Yes - here's a photo..:)

---------- Post added 03-05-2014 at 17:41 ----------

I had walk down the Wicker a couple of weeks ago and I'm appalled at what I saw, nothing but foreign cafés, fast food shops...
Yes indeed - how times change..:?

I worked at Woodcock's travel agents on the Wicker for a short time in the late 70's.

The question was posted a long time ago, but I do know something about the tripe shop on The Wicker.

It certainly did exist. My father has memories of visiting it, round about the late '20s probably, because (he says) it was run by his Great Aunt Nellie, and his mam used to call in regularly, on the way to/from town. My dad's family lived on Nottingham Street, at the time. My Dad recalled the shop as 'next to the Station Hotel, across the road from the Wicker Cinema'.

I found this post because I'm trying to identify 'Nellie'. It's a bit mysterious because while I've got the basic details for the rest of the family, I cannot find anything about 'Nellie'. From what my father said, she should have been Nellie Fellows, daughter of Frederick Fellows, a publican who kept The Omnibus Inn, on Attercliffe Road. He had a son, Frederick Henry, and he was also a tripe dealer.

Castledine comes into it because Nellie's sister, Mary Ann, married a James Castledine, a moulder from Grimethorpe. Mary & James had the tripe shop on Attercliffe Road. James died young, and Mary kept the shop going for many years, with the help of another sister, Ada.

On 02/05/2014 at 22:11, johnpm said:

I may be wrong but I think Hutchinson's Pet Ship was on the right hand side of the Wicker as you go towards town about 2/3 of the way towards Blonk St

I worked on the Midland Bank when I was a apprentice in the 60s 

Bought my 1st pair of Docs at the army stores in the 70s.

On 30/04/2021 at 15:20, ChrisR2 said:

I found this post because I'm trying to identify 'Nellie'. It's a bit mysterious because while I've got the basic details for the rest of the family, I cannot find anything about 'Nellie'. From what my father said, she should have been Nellie Fellows, daughter of Frederick Fellows, a publican who kept The Omnibus Inn, on Attercliffe Road. He had a son, Frederick Henry, and he was also a tripe dealer.

Castledine comes into it because Nellie's sister, Mary Ann, married a James Castledine, a moulder from Grimethorpe. Mary & James had the tripe shop on Attercliffe Road. James died young, and Mary kept the shop going for many years, with the help of another sister, Ada.

Could your Nellie have been Helena Fellows, born Q2 1872, daughter of Frederick Fellows of the Omnibus Inn, mother's maiden name Smedley?

I think that Helena married Benjamin Fieldsend (whose sister was my great-great-great grandmother). Helena maybe died in 1956, Benjamin had died suddenly in 1912 (burst blood vessel while waiting for a tram). I could be wrong, there were a few people called Nellie Fellows and more than one Helena Fieldsend around in Sheffield at the same time.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

There did used to be a Martial Arts supplies shop under the Arch, been gone for years though :(

The trouser bar ,a very dodgy place was that .