Old shops in the Wicker

I seem to remember my Dad telling his uncle had a sarsaparilla shop in the Wicker- Elliots - that would be in the 30's
Yes, Elliott's shop at 61 Wicker was in business as early as 1911 - the census return shows Herbert Elliott and his family living there, over the shop. Ten years earlier, the 1901 census had shown Herbert as a "pipe fitter" living in Gleadless Road, but some time between 1904 and 1911 he must have taken over Eddy Guttenberg's pawn shop at 61 Wicker and started the herbalist's business. Herbert evidently did well, as by 1924 he had purchased Scholey's shop in Staniforth Road and opened branches on Attercliffe Common and London Road. Herbert died in 1925 and the Wicker business is shown in later directories under the name of Herbert's son Charles Alfred Elliott (1889-1973). By 1953 it had become Associated Chemists, which must have moved to larger premises next door in the 1980s.

Sarsparilla.... We hardly hear of it nowadays, but until around the 1960s it was sold at "drink shops" everywhere. Elliott's is mentioned in this thread (post #73 on Page 3).

I wonder if the Scholey's mentioned in your post 'hillsbro' are or were related to the Scholey's herbalist that lived on Rushby St. They have been talked about at great length in the past, on their own thread and on the Grimesthorpe thread at some point.

Hi fleetwood - I'm not familiar with the Scholeys but it seems there may well be a connection. The Staniforth Road shop was owned by Samuel Scholey in 1911, while the 1925 directory shows "Samuel Scholey, herbalist" of 9/11 Rushby Street, so perhaps Samuel sold the Staniforth Road shop to Herbert Elliott and moved there. The 1925 directory also shows a Harry Scholey who had herbalist's shops at 642 Attercliffe Road and 34 Attercliffe Common. Samuel had a son, Harry, born in 1902, and so he presumably had the shops on Attercliffe Road/Common, while another son, Samuel George Scholey, born 1908, had the Rushby Street shop as shown in directories I have from the 19560s and 1960s. The 1971 and 1973 directories show "Arnold Scholey, dental surgeon" at 11 Rushby Street. Maybe he used herbal anaesthesia?.;)

I did some searching for 786 attercliffe road and found 784 and 792. 784 is the travellers and 792 the liberal club, I can only guess the car lot is where the missing houses were.

I wonder if the Scholey's mentioned in your post 'hillsbro' are or were related to the Scholey's herbalist that lived on Rushby St. They have been talked about at great length in the past, on their own thread and on the Grimesthorpe thread at some point.

You bet your life fleets!

Hi fleetwood - I'm not familiar with the Scholeys but it seems there may well be a connection. The Staniforth Road shop was owned by Samuel Scholey in 1911, while the 1925 directory shows "Samuel Scholey, herbalist" of 9/11 Rushby Street, so perhaps Samuel sold the Staniforth Road shop to Herbert Elliott and moved there. The 1925 directory also shows a Harry Scholey who had herbalist's shops at 642 Attercliffe Road and 34 Attercliffe Common. Samuel had a son, Harry, born in 1902, and so he presumably had the shops on Attercliffe Road/Common, while another son, Samuel George Scholey, born 1908, had the Rushby Street shop as shown in directories I have from the 19560s and 1960s. The 1971 and 1973 directories show "Arnold Scholey, dental surgeon" at 11 Rushby Street. Maybe he used herbal anaesthesia?.;)

Arnold Scholey was a dentist whose main practice was above the herbalists at 11 Rushby St - he was my dentist from 1956 until he sold the practice about 1970. His brother called Sam I think ran the herbalists. Arnold also had a practice for a while at Grenoside ( junction of Halifax Rd & Hilltop rd I recall as I went there once).

However, Arnold also ran a pub - The Fountain at Ingbirchworth near Penistone which always had a reputation for good food. I remember him taking home a tray of bread buns from the bakers across the other side of Rushby St!

I did some searching for 786 attercliffe road and found 784 and 792. 784 is the travellers and 792 the liberal club, I can only guess the car lot is where the missing houses were.
Yes - No 790 was on the corner of Beverley Street. To judge from the directories I have, Nos 786 to 790 were demolished some time between 1956 and 1964.

Arnold Scholey was a dentist whose main practice was above the herbalists at 11 Rushby St - he was my dentist from 1956 until he sold the practice about 1970. His brother called Sam I think ran the herbalists. Arnold also had a practice for a while at Grenoside ( junction of Halifax Rd & Hilltop rd I recall as I went there once).

However, Arnold also ran a pub - The Fountain at Ingbirchworth near Penistone which always had a reputation for good food. I remember him taking home a tray of bread buns from the bakers across the other side of Rushby St!

Although I think I have related this tale before, somewhere on the Sheffield Forum, I feel I must tell it again.

Some years ago a chap I knew was suffering with toothache. He decided that on his way home from work he would call in at Scholey's dentist to get some treatment. He dropped off the bus on Rushby Street and entered the building through a door at the side of the main road, a door he had used before in the past. As he entered the building he saw there were two or three settees around the room. He sat down on one and noticed that there were two asian ladies sat on another settee across from him. They were talking to each other but stopped immediately when my friend sat down. They looked at him and he nodded and hello. After a few seconds, one of the asian ladies got up and went through a door at the other side of the room. Then an Asian gentleman appeared in the room with soap lathered all over his face and a cut-throat razor in his hand. He asked my friend " can I help you?". My friend was a little perplexed at the sight before him and said " I've come to see the dentist, I've got toothache". The asian man said this is my house, I bought it off the dentist some years ago. My friend offered his apologies and immediately left the room, still with toothache and rather embarrassed.

Honestly, this is a true story.

To hillsbro, lakerman, Texas and johnpm. When I came out of the Army I also went to Arnold Scholey the dentist as did my mother. I have mentioned this before, just around the corner from the Herbalist and with Arnold upstairs, Kathleen Scholey had a double fronted dress shop on the short street that adjoined Rushby, it might have been the continuation of Hinde House Lane or it might have been called it Barretta St (or none of the above).

The 1937 & 1942 directories show "Harry Scholey, draper" at 8 Hinde House Lane. 1950s- 1970s directories show "H. & K. Scholey, drapers, back of 8/10 Hinde House Lane".

Thanks hillsbro - I had an Aunt and Uncle living in the next yard further on.

There was also the Wilberforce rest home and restaurant:hihi: