Old shops in the Wicker

Has anyone any information on old shops in the Wicker, in particular Castledine & Fellows a tripe shop. I have done a search but can't find anything, also looked on Sheffield History.

Remember Freidrich,Army stores,Scotts,and a furniture store,also Woodcock Travel.

And a massive pet shop on the corner. We used to go in there whilst dad booked holidays at Woodcocks

And a massive pet shop on the corner. We used to go in there whilst dad booked holidays at Woodcocks

The Pet Shop belonged to John Hutchinson.My Uncle Harry Moore who bred budgies at his home on Petre St knew John, who persuaded Harry to give up his job as a British Rail goods Scammel lorry driver at Bridgehouses to go & work for him in 1959. He worked in the shop & delivered pets. The shop closed about 1980 & Harry lost his job & had to find another one delivering stainless kitchen units. He would almost certainly have been better off financially staying with BR!

Not having lived in Sheff for many years, Is Phil Sismans shop still in the Wicker?, If anyone knows Phil send him my regards!.

Has anyone any information on old shops in the Wicker, in particular Castledine & Fellows a tripe shop...
Hi iansheff - I can't find any mention of this business in the directories I have (these go back to the Kelly's Directory of 1937) but the 1925 Kelly's Directory shows a "Mrs Mary A. Castledine, tripe dealer" of 786 Attercliffe Road, and also a "Frederick Fellows, tripe dresser" of 15 Union Street. By 1936 (when the 1937 directory was compiled), Fellows' shop in Union Street had evidently closed; 786 Attercliffe Road was still a tripe shop, now run by Leonard Pickering. No tripe shops are shown in the Wicker at this time, but maybe Castledine & Fellows was a business that traded in the Wicker some time between 1925 and 1936?

Going back to the 1905 directory, “Benjamin Fieldsend, tripe dealer” is shown at 786 Attercliffe Road, and by the time of the 1911 census the Castledines had moved in.

The deaths index shows that Mary Castledine died aged 80 in 1953; a Frederick H. Fellows died in the same year, aged 78.

Not having lived in Sheff for many years, Is Phil Sismans shop still in the Wicker?, If anyone knows Phil send him my regards!.

Yes, its still there.

anyone remember Pears and Frost at bottom of the station steps,there was also Goffin,s furniture shop ,Fowlers tobacco shop and Fred Hallet,s Cosy Cafe with the huge teapot in the window

Hi iansheff - I can't find any mention of this business in the directories I have (these go back to the Kelly's Directory of 1937) but the 1925 Kelly's Directory shows a "Mrs Mary A. Castledine, tripe dealer" of 786 Attercliffe Road, and also a "Frederick Fellows, tripe dresser" of 15 Union Street. By 1936 (when the 1937 directory was compiled), Fellows' shop in Union Street had evidently closed; 786 Attercliffe Road was still a tripe shop, now run by Leonard Pickering. No tripe shops are shown in the Wicker at this time, but maybe Castledine & Fellows was a business that traded in the Wicker some time between 1925 and 1936?

Going back to the 1905 directory, “Benjamin Fieldsend, tripe dealer” is shown at 786 Attercliffe Road, and by the time of the 1911 census the Castledines had moved in.

The deaths index shows that Mary Castledine died aged 80 in 1953; a Frederick H. Fellows died in the same year, aged 78.

Thanks for the information, it is really helpful it is for a friends family tree.

anyone remember Pears and Frost at bottom of the station steps,there was also Goffin,s furniture shop, Fowlers tobacco shop....
Here is a scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory that might bring back a few memories!.:)

I seem to remember my Dad telling his uncle had a sarsaparilla shop in the Wicker- Elliots - that would be in the 30's