Montfort street Burngreave

The houses were bulldozed in the sixties to make way for the new flats that are there know.I was shocked to find when recently tracing my Fathers side of the family that they lived on Mountfort Street Burngreave, some of them even living there from the turn of the century to the time it was pulled down in the sixties.I never knew anything about them at all.anyone on SF here who lived on the street or have any information about the street and people who lived there would be much appreciated..

Here is a scan from the 1957 Kelly's Directory..:)

According to the 1910 census they lived at 24 mountfort street

The houses were bulldozed in the sixties to make way for the new flats that are there know.I was shocked to find when recently tracing my Fathers side of the family that they lived on Mountfort Street Burngreave, some of them even living there from the turn of the century to the time it was pulled down in the sixties.I never knew anything about them at all.anyone on SF here who lived on the street or have any information about the street and people who lived there would be much appreciated..

I remember a Montfort St ran from Verdon St to Lopham St but that was Pitsmoor District

It is Pitsmoor, numbers, anything West of Burngreave Road was regarded as Pitsmoor.

i dont remember monfort street i lived on 39 monfort drive in the early 70s then they were masonettes acrossthe road was a school and jacks think it was some sort of pub/snooker club

i dont remember monfort street i lived on 39 monfort drive in the early 70s then they were masonettes acrossthe road was a school and jacks think it was some sort of pub/snooker club

Hi,

They began rehousing folks from Montfort Street (and Thistle Street where my folks lived) in the late 1960s. The last 50 or so metres of Montfort Street is still there (rebuilt and now called Montfort Drive)

Regards

Edited by Falls

Thread resurrection as I have just discovered that in the 1871 census some of my ancestors (John & Fanny Richards) lived at 27 Montford Street.

Edited by WarPig

On 29/09/2013 at 11:04, Texas said:

It is Pitsmoor, numbers, anything West of Burngreave Road was regarded as Pitsmoor.

I was born EAST of Burngreave Road and that's still Pitsmor all the way to Grimesthorpe.

Edited by St Petre
add

Hello I lived on Andover Drive in the 80s the people were nice people used to play football on Nottingham Street rec in the 60s till I got married 

On 04/02/2022 at 14:00, St Petre said:

I was born EAST of Burngreave Road and that's still Pitsmor all the way to Grimesthorpe.

I was born and bred in pitsmoor as I understood it Sheffield 3 was Pitsmoor and Sheffield 4 was Burngreave

Grimesthorpe was also in Sheffield 4