What to do with a pork hock??

So we went into Simmonites today (love that place!) and picked up a pork hock for £2, I was planning on using it for pulled pork but a quick Google tells me I should have bought shoulder. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what I could do with it? Would like to use the slow cooker if possible!

Thanks in advance.

The standard procedure with pork hock - boil two hours to make it soft, then roast one hour to make skin crispy.

Slow cooker version:

Sauce - fry sliced onion, carrot, bit of ginger, garlic with herbs you like, add plenty of water.

Place hock into a slowcooker and cover with sauce.

Cook until tender (3-4 hours minimum)

Serve with set of defferent sauces.

Ham/pork hock is one of my favourite cheap cuts. I often serve it up warm with mash and veg for dinner, or cold with a salad. The meat is good in a risotto too. I used to cook it on the hob, but I've recently bought a slow cooker and I use that now. Here's how I do it - http://feastandglory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/cheap-eats-4.html - I love doing it this way as I manage to get a fair few portions of pea and ham soup out of it too. If you don't stick peas in, you could use the stock as a base for another soup, or for risotto.

Someone passed this recipe to me recently and although it's not pulled pork - it might interest you - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/jerky-ham-hocks. Just, whatever you do, make sure you soak the hock overnight to draw the salt out of the meat.

Enjoy!

So, the ham hock went off :-( We were soaking it in water overnight to draw out the salt, should it have been in the fridge as well? Gutted, but least it was only £2 so not too pricey a mistake.

Yes, it should have been kept in the fridge - it's raw meat!

Also, next time, I would plan to cook it the day after purchasing as they don't keep amazingly well.

I hope this experience doesn't put you off from trying it again.

Yes, when someone states the obvious it does seem pretty apparent it should have been kept in the fridge! Lol. Oh well, like I said it was only £2 for it and no it hasn't put us off, we will definitely try again with it.

Thanks for the tips and advice!

I once had a pork hock. Caught it in my zip.

Yes, when someone states the obvious it does seem pretty apparent it should have been kept in the fridge! Lol. Oh well, like I said it was only £2 for it and no it hasn't put us off, we will definitely try again with it.

Thanks for the tips and advice!

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

So, the ham hock went off :-( We were soaking it in water overnight to draw out the salt, should it have been in the fridge as well? Gutted, but least it was only £2 so not too pricey a mistake.

Are you sure it was off? It's salted which is a preservative. So unless your kitchen was really very, very warm it should have been OK.