How does a shorthold tenancy get change to a regular tenancy

I have had same tentants for 7 years I more worried that they have more right me the landlord? because they been in the property for 7 years I have only give them 12 months tenancy and renew it every year.

can anybody help me.

Have you thought about actually paying for some legal advice?

But they only continue to live there because you allow them and accept their rent.

If you are the landlord, what is stopping you from issuing them with a section 21?

I think what the OP is saying is now that the tenants have been in for over 7 years does their tenancy become a regulated one? There is something somewhere about being a tenant for 7 years that rings a bell with me too.

I have had same tentants for 7 years I more worried that they have more right me the landlord? because they been in the property for 7 years I have only give them 12 months tenancy and renew it every year.

can anybody help me.

This may help= http://www.campionssolicitors.co.uk/rental/id11.html

More informative info here= https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/11445/138295.pdf

Edited by mafya
better info link

I think what the OP is saying is now that the tenants have been in for over 7 years does their tenancy become a regulated one? There is something somewhere about being a tenant for 7 years that rings a bell with me too.

- that's the reason for Mossway's suggestion of getting legal advice - as opposed to gossip and rumours you can pick up on an internet forum.

can anybody help me.

so you give them a new AST each year ? and it;s not become a periodic tenancy ayt any point ?

Zippy,

even if he had let it run to a "periodic tenancy" the 7 year rule would not apply unless the tenancy was created for a period greater than 3 years. In the OP case this is clearly not the case.

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 22:39 ----------

From Mafya`a link

There is no maximum length. However if an Assured Shorthold Tenancy is created for longer than 3 years it has to be created by Deed. If longer than 7 years then the Tenant takes on more substantial responsibilities for repairs and has to be registered at the Land Registry.

The 7 year rule does not apply to the OP as he did not create the tenancy for a period longer than 3 years.

MJT, You can give 2 months notice (at 10 months) to get possession at 12 months. (Sooner if the tenant break the rules-none payment of rent, damage etc).

Zippy,

even if he had let it run to a "periodic tenancy" the 7 year rule would not apply unless the tenancy was created for a period greater than 3 years. In the OP case this is clearly not the case.

Yes, I agree.

]The 7 year rule does not apply to the OP as he did not create the tenancy for a period longer than 3 years.

MJT, You can give 2 months notice (at 10 months) to get possession at 12 months. (Sooner if the tenant break the rules-none payment of rent, damage etc).

No- s.21 cannot be used if a protectable deposit is not protected.

And

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 21:59 ----------

can anybody help me.

We do not yet know what you originally created. Was it an AST or an SAT?