Where Are The Ladies ?

Some time ago there was a heated discussion in the media about the motivation of female

' high flyers ' vis-a-vis male high flyers and whether females lacked aggression [ in general ] in the business rat-race.

During the last few months I 've noticed a definite pattern connected to this topic. In almost every edition of ' Mastermind ' and ' University Challenge ' there seems to be 3 male contestants to every 1 female. Obviously to be entered for either contest does not require brawn or brute strength-------so I genuinely wonder what the reason is ?

Also, I 've been playing chess on-line and 'over the board' for 60 years now and noticed roughly the same situation as above. There are some brilliant lady chess players [e.g. the Polgar sisters from Hungary ] but compared to the number of men and the quality of play, they are few and far between.

Comments please !

Some time ago there was a heated discussion in the media about the motivation of female

' high flyers ' vis-a-vis male high flyers and whether females lacked aggression [ in general ] in the business rat-race.

During the last few months I 've noticed a definite pattern connected to this topic. In almost every edition of ' Mastermind ' and ' University Challenge ' there seems to be 3 male contestants to every 1 female. Obviously to be entered for either contest does not require brawn or brute strength-------so I genuinely wonder what the reason is ?

Also, I 've been playing chess on-line and 'over the board' for 60 years now and noticed roughly the same situation as above. There are some brilliant lady chess players [e.g. the Polgar sisters from Hungary ] but compared to the number of men and the quality of play, they are few and far between.

Comments please !

They're probably at home. The rear of the fridge needs a good clean in order for them not to be labelled a slut...there's a lot of fridges out there.

There were many very brave, intelligent and capable female SOE agents during WWII (many tortured and killed), as well as the wonderful girls who worked in factories in both world wars.

Today, even though there are many intelligent females still, we see alot of feminist tripe on TV and in the media, almost a bitter form of 'reverse' sexism (misandry) hiding behind that label of feminism.

Comments please !

According to betting tycoon Stuart Wheeler, the UKIP treasurer, its because they can't play chess. :D

There simply aren't that many really talented women. Most women are of average intelligence. Whereas men tend far more to vary from absolute idiots to average to absolute geniuses. There's a good book about it here.

There's probably a lot of women reading this thinking, can I be bothered to ... nah!

There simply aren't that many really talented women. Most women are of average intelligence. Whereas men tend far more to vary from absolute idiots to average to absolute geniuses. There's a good book about it here.

whereas YOU lie on the lower end of the scale?

:hihi:

The "genius" pool for men in terms of percentages is rather low (how many geniuses do you know HH?) So, by your reckoning most men are absolute idiots , where most women are of average intelligence. Non of this stacks up. Most people..male/female are of average intelligence and talent. It's social and economic dynamics that govern how we move forward gender wise. Females are at a disadvantage when these dynamics come into play...not talent or intelligence.

Fact is women arent as bright as men and never will be. Men rule the roost because they are not only physically stronger but usually much cleverer too. I know its not a popular or very pc fact but it is a fact non the less.

Fact is women arent as bright as men and never will be. Men rule the roost because they are not only physically stronger but usually much cleverer too. I know its not a popular or very pc fact but it is a fact non the less.

"Physically stronger" is a weak argument (pardon the pun). Most highly intelligent creative men are not typically known as beefcakes. There's an argument that beefcake men can be intelligent, even a genius, creative maybe, but on the whole average to below average. You could be right about "ruling the roost" through physical force. But that takes physical force, not intelligence. It would be unwise to relate both as synonymous.

"Physically stronger" is a weak argument (pardon the pun). .

Its a fact.

Its a fact.

I haven't argued the fact. :huh:

All you've argued is men are stronger so therefore usually more clever.

My partner (female) is far more intelligent than I am. But I know I'm much stronger physically than her..does that make me "cleverer".