Can anybody remember butlers cafe?

I remember butlers cafe before it moved it was on britsh rail property coal yards queens road my father used to take me in there when i was a very young lad in the fifties,then when i was a pupil at st Vincents RC school the ownersmoved to its present location,they had a photograph of a young boy with big ears who looked like younger brother and a caption which said i like pie.

I also remember the road map of great britain hanging on the wall, it had a very neatly done circular gig burn which i think went straight through Birmingham. Did any of you go to any do's in pubs when Butlers did their pie and pea's as outside caterers. I went to a few i think it was the only reason i went to some of them. I remember Steve turning up with a lad who i think was his son the food was superb. I also remember going to the toilets in the cafe and i went downstairs through the cellar kitchen to the loo out the back. I never really looked at Butlers as a greasy spoon the food was too good for that and they used to use the dumb waiter when you ordered a fried egg. I think the only thing they did behind the counter was hot drinks and toast, you could also get your sarnies on thick uncut bread superb!!! BRING BUTERS BACK come on David get your finger out .

Does anyone remember St Georges School.

yes I went to St Georges School I was there from1954 to 1958 my name was

Arlene Dinnigan at the time.I lived in Fawcet Street then.

I remember a picture on the wall of an urchin with a toothless grin it was captioned[WHO SAID PIE]happy days long gone.

I have this hanging on my wall in my kitchen now, I used to have several T-Shirts with it on also, but alas can no longer fit into them :)

I dont have as many memories of the cafe as I'd like as it closed when I was about 7 (I think), but I do remember exploring what was a maze of stairs in the rest of the building. Growing up in such an awesome place was great! I used to watch in amazement as my Grandad would make the crust for the M&P pie's, using a mixer that was big enough to fit me in with room to spare. I remember the giant flour stores, and learning how to make bread and custard (Random combo I know) in the kitchen on the ground floor.

I regularly visit Butler's Balti now, great friends with Saj the owner. Its actually moved this week and is now at the bottom of Broad Lane (Number 44 I think), it was a great opening night!

Good to see my Dad commenting on here too, didn't you have a boat in the garages across the road also Dad? I remember pretending to drive it a few times!

I forgot to mention, I'm Joe Butler, Steve's Grandson.

Edited by Joe Butler

Steve did have a boat in some garages under the flats on the other side of Netherthorpe Road.

Good to see your input Joe

I remember Smileys , when I was very small in the late 70's / early 80's my grandad used to take me there , I always had egg and chips. We then used to visit the outdoor old tools and **** market which was just down past castle market .. those were treasured days