Can anybody remember butlers cafe?

:thumbsup: me and a couple of mates used to go in about 8 o'clock in the morning before going for the bus for school across the the road.

there was a couple of really old pinball machines that we played on.

it always had the smell of cow pie and the windows were always steamed up.

brilliant'

How the memories come flooding back, The meat and potato pie in that big bath sized dish. The jam rolly polly pud with custard, and most of all my introduction to liver and bacon lunches I can see it all now.

Including the last street lamp lighter (clock winder) who always ate there on his rounds.

We will never see the likes of it again what with so called food hygeine etc.

Butlers fed generations of sheffield working men and lads God bless em.

:thumbsup:

We should lament the loss of our proper cafes. Anyone remember Smiley's down near Castle Market? Their large breakfast was so huge not even I could finish it. Prime spot for yet another Subway perhaps? :rant:

I know this off the subject of Butlers Cafe, which incidentally was as good as some of the other threads say. It was one of many eating places around the city where you got good value for money.

Your quote talks about Smiley's near the Castle Market but there was a whole host of little cafe's in or around the Castle Market and the old Norfolk Market Hall. Also the Castlefolds fruit and veg. Market before it moved out on The Parkway.

There were a least two well patronized cafe's in the old Corn Exchange building on Sheaf Street, that continued to operate long after the Exchange building itself was gutted by fire in 1947. They opened very early - Monday to Saturday - for all the market traders and workers.

Does anybody remember "Kidders" and their famous "Fresh Mash"?

Regards

I like the 'very good bacon sandwiches' bit, they were the best I've ever had, apart from when I do one myself. You could get them toasted as well, and proper pint mugs of tea. Going into a caff like that today would be called the Greasy Spoon Experience.

A couple of other places worth mentioning were the Pump Tavern down the Moor and a little bakers down Howard Street called Perkins. He did great sandwiches, the butter used to be about an 1/4 inch (about 5ml) thick, on a always fresh breadcake.

Butlers was fantastic, as a kid I used to go for a bag of crinkle cut chips and he would even sell you a portion of Yorkshire pudding. Mmmm lovely. He did used to do pie and pea suppers as well if you were organising 'a bit of a do'.

I like the 'very good bacon sandwiches' bit, they were the best I've ever had, apart from when I do one myself. You could get them toasted as well, and proper pint mugs of tea. Going into a caff like that today would be called the Greasy Spoon Experience.

A couple of other places worth mentioning were the Pump Tavern down the Moor and a little bakers down Howard Street called Perkins. He did great sandwiches, the butter used to be about an 1/4 inch (about 5ml) thick, on a always fresh breadcake.

hi Texas. When I first used to go in Butlers the old man and his wife used to dish out the grub from big enamel bowls inthe window on to your plate, then you paid for what you had had when you went out by the other door , they must have lost thousands, I know my mate used to ask for six sqs of york but only paid for one and never paid for his sweet course, so did many others, This practice changed when Steve took the reins.

Where is steve now?

I believe he has passed away and so has his wife who also

worked in the cafe.

I believe he has passed away and so has his wife who also

worked in the cafe.

Thanks jaffa, Sad, was a nice guy

Does anyone remember butlers cafe in sheffield, I beleive it was near the Jessops Hospital.

People say it was a real greasy spoon type cafe but they did very good bacon sandwiches.

Just where was it???????????:huh::(

Used to go in for a huge lunch after visiting the antenatal clinic at Jessops. No wonder my son weighed over 10lbs. when he was born!

I don't remember this place but my partner has mentioned what a great cafe it was,and how fantastic the pies were.According to him,Piccasso ate there once in the fifties!

Picasso DID eat there.He was a member of a delegation to a large peace conference in Sheffield. He even drew a dove on a paper napkin.

Picasso DID eat there.He was a member of a delegation to a large peace conference in Sheffield. He even drew a dove on a paper napkin.

I believe that napkin is the one that is framed and hangs on the wall of Butlers now :)