Fitzalan Square Mystery

too early for that i think believe sheaf house BR building came a few years later.

The College of Technology was certainly there before 1960. Not saying that's the building in question though.

Here's a closer view .. picturesheffield

Yes!! its definitely that building, I think I got confused as the college has been added to a lot over the years and i was going by the dates it was became the polytechnic Many thanks to everyone for solving that mystery i will sleep easy now!!!

Yes indeed, it's the College of Technology. Here is a comparison of portions of the original photo and the one linked by me-and-piippo in post #8. Note the outline of the roof, and the staircases (arrowed).

Yes indeed, it's the College of Technology. Here is a comparison of portions of the original photo and the one linked by me-and-piippo in post #8. Note the outline of the roof, and the staircases (arrowed).

Gosh how did you do that?? We have some very clever people on SF Thank you for taking the time to do that, great work !!

Gosh how did you do that?? ...
Mrs hillsbro - bless her - bought me the "Photoshop" graphics editing program for Christmas and I finally got around to learning how to use it..:hihi:.:hihi:.:hihi:

The Bendybus!!! Are they still with us in Sheffield? I went on one in Bristol recently

No bendybusers have long gone, in the first link the buildings in the top right are the old university buildings faculty of engineering, i am wondering the building in the op post which looks as though it is on flat street is the old university.?

I'm sure it's part of the then Pond Street Tech. & was built around 1956. The building is at right angles to Pond Street. Pond Street Tech. was expanded in about 1964 when the much larger block behind this one was built. The extension I refer to is the large multi-storey block that backs onto Arundel Gate.

Edited by fatrajah

I'm sure it's part of the then Pond Street Tech...
Yes - the evidence for this is in Hillsbro's post #17 above. British Rail's local headquarters at Sheaf House would have been further to the left; also it wasn't built until 1964-65.