Fitzalan Square Mystery

Can anyone enlighten me as this picture is puzzling me (doesnt take much!)

Its dated 1959 and at first glance the big building furthest away from the camera at the bottom of Flat street looks like Park hill flats but they cant be viewed from that angle and I dont think they were built then anyway My second thought was its Sheffield Hallam University ( Sheffield Poly as was) but again this wasnt built till mid to late sixties so I cant for the life of me think what it is can some one solve the mystery please??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16062&pos=160&action=zoom&id=18805

Can anyone enlighten me as this picture is puzzling me (doesnt take much!)

Its dated 1959 and at first glance the big building furthest away from the camera at the bottom of Flat street looks like Park hill flats but they cant be viewed from that angle and I dont think they were built then anyway My second thought was its Sheffield Hallam University ( Sheffield Poly as was) but again this wasnt built till mid to late sixties so I cant for the life of me think what it is can some one solve the mystery please??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16062&pos=160&action=zoom&id=18805

Like you say, it's the wrong angle to be Park Hill. Can't throw any light on what it actually is though.

It certainly looks like park hill but like you both have said its the wrong angle. Mmmmm, very strange

Is it the old british rail building that used to be to the right of the staion?Its where the empty space is now.

Is it the old british rail building that used to be to the right of the staion?Its where the empty space is now.

too early for that i think believe sheaf house BR building came a few years later.

Have a look at the maps here. Could be the College of Technology.

The car just disappearing out of the bottom of the picture is an Austin Cambridge (Farina) Built 1959-1961 so the picture could be later? or dated wrong.

It looks like the Polytechnic on the right hand side of Pond Street, you would not see the B.R. building from the Square as shown in the photo.

Edited by lazarus