How do I dispose of a jar of mercury safely and cheaply?

I think everyone over a certain age played with mercury. I also had a friend who had to go to hospital to have his stomach pumped after he'd bitten into a mercury fever thermometer.

My understanding is that it's not the metal itself that is likely to poison people, rather the vapour and organic mercury compounds when they enter the food chain as in the horrific Minamata poisoning in Japan where a whole village had their fish supply contaminated by a factory over many years and suffered horrible mental and physical degradation.

Oh dear, not nice.

I think everyone over a certain age played with mercury. I also had a friend who had to go to hospital to have his stomach pumped after he'd bitten into a mercury fever thermometer.

My understanding is that it's not the metal itself that is likely to poison people, rather the vapour and organic mercury compounds when they enter the food chain as in the horrific Minamata poisoning in Japan where a whole village had their fish supply contaminated by a factory over many years and suffered horrible mental and physical degradation.

Mercury in its pure liquid form is extremely hazardous. It can be absorbed through the skin and eyes and also creates toxic vapour as it evaporates. It is also corrosive and an irritant and can cause contact burns. Just to clear that one up - please don't open the jar :)

The phrase "Mad as a Hatter" comes from the use of mercury in felt making, I used mercury professionally years ago which may explain a lot!

Just to add - in London we're entitled to up to 50 kg/year chemical waste collection for free (not necessarily just household chemicals - they list sodium cyanide as an example!).

I'd drop Veolia a call and ask them. If they say they'll charge you don't have to use them.

at work in the chemicals cupboard in the lab, where i spend most of my time theres a squeezy bottle of mercury, its heavy as hell

no idea what they used it for, i just put it at the bottom and shoved it to the back, along with the sealed old empty potasium gold cyanide containers

I know a scientist who could make use of this, I know he's normally after uranium but one of his fusion converters could handle this...

His name is doc brown..

Edited by GRUSS
Bad spelling

at work in the chemicals cupboard in the lab, where i spend most of my time theres a squeezy bottle of mercury, its heavy as hell

no idea what they used it for

You work for an electronics company don't you? maybe tilt switches??

Simply parcel it up and post it to yourself via DHL, I guarantee you'll never see it again. :D

Intrigued to know what SpikeMac can do for free and legally.

I imagine he might be some sort of science teacher.

You work for an electronics company don't you? maybe tilt switches??

tit switches?

oh wait i mean

i make circuit boards :P

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 23:15 ----------

I imagine he might be some sort of science teacher.

dude why arent you opposite my house right now?

theres a folk weekend on in the village hall, eliza carthy played last night, strangely i cant here the music tho must be very low...muffled and whispered lol

strangely i cant here the music tho must be very low...muffled and whispered

Get your finger out of your ear!